Skip to main content

Ian Gomm - Gomm with the Wind

Ian Gomm
I have no idea why I remembered Ian Gomm. The title to the album Gomm with the Wind always stuck with me, and I knew there was a song I knew, but couldn't remember. It was "Hold On" and while it wasn't a big hit, it did get some radio play and Ian was very much part of that early bunch of power pop acts who were crossing the pond. It's a fun song, and Herbie Flowers bass is a sonic punch to the gut.

The album contained a dozen pop nuggets with only one song going over three minutes and at that was by seven seconds. There were a couple of covers, one by Chuck Berry, "Come On" that was really cool, and the Lennon-McCartney "You Can't Do That." It was get in, get out. Keep it tight. None of the songs felt incomplete they were just right.

stiff records

The album was released on Stiff /Epic and label-mates included Nick Lowe, who's "Cruel to be Kind" had been co-written by Ian Gomm, along with Ian Dury and the Blockheads and the legendary Pointed Sticks. While Ian did score a minor hit with "Hold On" he just didn't seem to catch his big break. 

Having just said that, it should be noted that Gomm with the Wind was only on Stuff / Epic in North America, and that the album had been released a year earlier as Summer Holiday with a different track order and a couple new tracks. Regardless, this was the release I knew and is the release I have.

Timing is everything, and who knows what it was - the songs here are catchy and as good as anything that was coming out by his contemporaries. Maybe that was the problem, his contemporaries - there were a lot of acts trying to compete in the same space. There was a sameness to a lot of the acts, and while the songs were catchy it was frankly just more of the same.

This isn't to say this is an album to be so easily dismissed. It's worth the time. This is really good stuff. Ian is a really solid guitar player, and knows how to anchor the songs. Speaking on anchoring, I mentioned at the start Herbie Flowers' bass playing. The man is a force of nature here, and he's holding it all together. The band was rounded out by Barry deSouza on drums and Chris Perrin on keys.

back cover
One of the big surprises was a great working of The Beatles "You Can't Do That" into a wicked new wave masterpiece. Truly, if you're going to cover a band, let alone The Beatles - you better have something in mind to make it your own.

The fact that this was really good didn't matter, there were other good acts out there and true to the title the album would be Gomm with the Wind. To quote Margaret Mitchell from Gone with the Wind  “Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it's no worse than it is.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the