Skip to main content

Rough Trade - Avoid Freud

Rough Trade
Avoid Freud was released in the fall of 1980, but it wasn't until the spring that "High School Confidential" seemed to be playing everywhere. We'd giggle when Carole sang, "It makes me cream my jeans when she comes my way." On the radio it would be bleeped, but it didn't matter. Most of us, or at least me - had no idea that it was a lesbian love song. It didn't matter - the song was infectious. There was of course the inevitable backlash when something becomes too popular.

For me, there was always something about Carole Popes voice that was nails on a blackboard. I will admit that I liked "High School Confidential" right up until I didn't ... but with time I like it again. I had never heard anything other than what I heard on the radio. I had no desire to pick up an album, and when the  Payolas released "Never Said I Loved You" in 1983 with Carole singing the duet with Paul I would have a visceral reaction to the song when it came on the radio. I couldn't change the station fast enough.Time hasn't softened that one ... yet.

I'd never seen anything pop in the dollar bin, which saved me from having to make a decision about whether or not to pass or play. Well, my luck ran out and there along with some other albums I'd long dreaded finding, was Avoid Freud. It was time to face my fears.

I played it through a couple of times, and it was surprising. In a good way. This was very good, and honestly Carole killed it. The swagger and confidence she exudes on the tracks is almost tangible. She owns this ... although the closing track "Grade B Movie" is a perplexing steaming pile or musical crap. I suppose it was meant to be a piece of art ... it's a piece of something alright. Thankfully it's the last track as I'm generally too lazy to get up and lift the needle, so I just let it play through. Who knows, maybe it'll wear me down.

supporting cast
Rough Trade was centred on multi-instrumentalist Kevan Staples who played guitar, piano and synth and sang backing vocals and lead singer Carole Pope. They wrote the songs - it was their band. Rounding out the band here were David Morrow who played keyboards, Bucky Berger on drums, and Terry Wilkins on the fretless bass. 

It's weird to think this came out in 1980 as so much of this sounds fresh and crisp still. Sure it was mining the skinny tie new wave, but the songs are thick and meaty - if that makes sense. Much of this can be attributed to the instrumentation and the wise choice to be as organic as possible while still incorporating technology. With Carole being so front and centre in the mix everything you hear supports the songs. Doesn't hurt that it was mastered by one of the masters George Marino.

I have to admit I really enjoyed nine of the ten songs here. Lyrically there's a lot to unpack and it's sad to think that while so much has changed, things are very much the same in so many regards. "What's the Furor About the Fuher?" speaks to today as much as it did forty years ago - that makes me sad.

Back cover
However I also wonder how much of a sense of humour Kevan and Carole had, as when I listened to "It's a Jungle" I kept thinking about John Wayne's 1962 classic (I loved it as a kid) Hitari! Red Buttons would call John Bawana ... I suspect I'm the only one making that comparison.

Regardless, now that I've popped my cherry so to speak with Avoid Freud I won't be afraid to pick up more the band's back catalogue should the occasion arise.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the