Skip to main content

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx Paradise Theatre
Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock, almost progressive at times who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash.

The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theatre in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable.

Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone, "Don't look now, but here come the '80s!" The '80s were indeed here, and Styx dropped an album that still felt like Styx but there were changes. They were still rocking, but some of the rough edges had been softened, and this was almost a pop album. Oh those strangely unique Styx backing harmonies that could only have come out of the '70s were present in abundance, but now this was a melding of genres.

The album opens with "A.D. 1928" a short piano ballad before the band kicks in with "Rockin' the Paradise" a song that served as a calling card to those who doubted Styx's ability to kick ass. This was followed by the now classic "Too Much Time on My Hands" with Tommy Shaw on vocals. The opening synthesizer sequence before kicking in, confirmed we were indeed in the '80s. I did play this to death back in the day, and kind of wore it out, but listening to it now it's as cool as ever. Besides, the guitar solo still melts my face.

inside gatefold
Then the first of the subtle stylistic changes hits, "Nothing Ever Goes as Planned" is Dennis being as theatrical as ever. I can't quite place what this was supposed to be as it meandered from pop to pseudo-reggae. When the horn section kicks in the song levelled up, and with a killer solo the song it was a cherry on top. I'm still surprised this one worked and didn't collapse under it's own weight.

When "The Best of Times" started with the same progression as the album's opener "A.D. 1928" I remember thinking, "What is going on?" Then the song continues and before you could say "Babe I'm leaving" the song had turned into a full fledged ballad, but unlike the previously mentioned song that shouldn't be mentioned, there was something about this one that worked - I mean really worked.

So far this was really good.

Flipping the vinyl over, I'd forgotten the record was embossed with the Styx logo. Man, that was cool. The second side starts with "Lonely People" and again there are horns ... lots of horns, and then the song settles down to a mid tempo groove with Dennis on lead vocals. Now I'll be frank, this was never a song I liked that much, but in the context of the album I never picked up the needle to skip the track. Besides buried in this five minute head scratcher was a fantastic middle section where the keyboards and lead guitar play off each other before the solo kicks in, and it's a song unto itself. 

Hmm. I see I'm prattling off one song at a time, so I guess I'll keep going. "She Cares" is another Tommy Shaw piece and while I'd always been partial to Tommy's singing, this was a song that just felt to smooth and kind of awkward, I mean is there a clunkier line than this in a pop song? "And still she treats me like a human." The song itself was sort of just there and served as a stop gap before getting to the first of the James Young songs on the album.

"Snowblind" or as my youth group leader proclaimed, "The love song to cocaine" was a killer song mired with James vocals. I wish I knew what it was about his voice that irritated me. I used to say it was because he sounded like a Broadway singer trying to sing in a rock band. Which is hardly fair or accurate as Dennis had the same sort of voice. The thing is James wrote killer music, and here where lead vocals are shared with Tommy, the album finally unleashes the rock.  As a guitar slinger, I don't think James ever really got his due.

Case in point,  "Half-Penny, Two-Penny" I mean this is an absolutely killer riff. The song also plays with the progressive elements that were present at the start of "Lonely People" before the song literally stops so that the guitar solo can take the spotlight. It's also the song where I learned what a gold Krugerrand was. See, you can learn things from music. The song serves as the closer to the album before seamlessly going into "A.D. 1958" and knitting the two sides together.

Styx always felt very much like Dennis' band, at least creatively and on Paradise Theatre, he wrote and sang the majority of the songs. To me it never felt like an unequal partnership as more often than not Tommy's contributions were highlights and even Jame's who I liked to piss on, always pulled off something with an amazing riff and was musically awesome - even if I was lukewarm to his vocals. 

Styx Paradise Theatre
Paradise Theatre was an extraordinary album, and truly the best of times. Like so many bands from the '70s there was a bit of bleed over into the '80s, and honestly the band was at the top of their game how could things not continue?

Dennis had his hold my beer moment with Kilroy Was Here a couple years later and that marked the end of the classic era.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the