Skip to main content

Jesse Crawford - Organ & Chimes for Christmas

Jesse Crawford
Jesse Crawford and his Organ & Chimes for Christmas fall squarely into a generation divide that pretty much generates one of two responses:

  • "What the hell is this?" or,
  • "Oooh, this sounds like what church sounded like at Christmas."

For those who opt for the first, you may as well stop as this will not get any better. As to the second option, let's be honest those who think this sounds like church likely only ever saw the inside of a church through old movies.

For me, I'm sort of caught in a weird place where I can't listen to this and not conjure up images of the nude organ player from Monty Python or insert a terribly inappropriate voice over to the music that in my head sounds like a southern baptist preacher with a lisp who sounds a bit like Peter Lorre mixed with Ernest P. Worrell.

However, then there are times I'll feel warmly nostalgic and remember the midnight Christmas Eve services from my childhood where before the service the organist would play carols.

Jesse Crawford himself was quite an accomplished player. Born in 1895, he first gained notoriety accompanying silent films in the 1920s before he moved into recording. He was a self taught musician and it wasn't until the early 1940s that he took formal lessons. Some of his classmates at the time were George Gershwin, Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller among others. He himself would become a teacher.

This particular album, Organ & Chimes for Christmas is another of my Pickwick releases, and as with their other reissues there is no date on the record or jacket. I suspect it was likely from the early 70s, but it's a crap shoot to be honest.

The copy I found was still in the shrink wrap and thankfully it hadn't adhered to the cover. The record itself was in really decent shape, and while there are some pops here and there, it doesn't detract from the experience.

The original recording was likely released in 1957, which feels about right. It's hard to imagine now, but there was a time when the Hammond organ, and before that the Wurlitzer organ in theatres was the epitome of cool.

back cover

If you were wondering, the little voice over didn't keep going on, eventually the music just moved into the background and became a comforting sound that helped to soothe my morning ... no, really. There is something weird, strange and oddly comforting listening to this collection of hymns and standards with the occasional click and pop that just feels like Christmas.

Jesse Crawford passed away at the age of sixty six in 1962.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...