Skip to main content

Johnny Tillotson - The Christmas Touch

Johnny Tillotson
Here we are in the post Christmas dead space between the turkey and New Year's Eve. It one of my favourite times of the year. We still have the tree up and Christmas music still plays while we lounge around the house.

The Christmas Touch is another one of those "who is this guy?" Christmas albums. I got it because the 12 year old goof in me giggled at the album title. I could imagine it being sung to the tune of "The Bad Touch" by The Bloodhound Gang. I'm not proud of myself for this, but it is, what it is. I've accepted the things I can't really change about my sense of humour.

I'd not heard of Johnny Tillotson before, but I scanned through some of my '60s collections, and sure enough in the early '60s he'd struck gold with songs like "Poetry in Motion" and "It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin'" with the latter being covered by the likes of Bobby Darin, Elvis, and even Slim Whitman. The album is a collection of mid '60s pop with a lot of lush strings, that at times bordered on country. It made sense that Johnny Tillotson enjoyed some crossover success. The songs here cover many of the standard modern classics. From "Winter Wonderland" to "White Christmas" and some I'd not heard before such as "Christmas Country Style" and a couple of others. I thought I'd add a song that started with "C" just to show that all the songs did not start with a "W."

MGM Records
I have to admit that the little soliloquy in the middle of "White Christmas" where Johnny wonders where the Christmas spirit has gone in this modern world, just shows that the more things change the more things stay the same. Like so many Christmas albums, this one is short ... really short. All of the songs are under three minutes, with a couple not even hitting the two minute mark.

I got a kick out of the back cover where Stan Applebaum who arranged and conducted the orchestra wrote a little note to Johnny talking about how good old Johnny was an unspoiled and wholesome human being. Whereas young Johnny wrote back saying he'd heard the songs on the album and how much he enjoyed it, blah blah blah. It is a Christmas album, it's supposed to be a little sugary.

back cover
Like so many albums that come out for the holidays, this one too had no indication as to when it came out. Didn't take a lot to look it up and get the year. It was 1966, and this LP seems to be an original pressing. It did have the shrink wrap, but it was fraying, so I decided to remove it. This is a really fun collection of songs, and the arrangements are interesting while staying true to the original songs. The music hearkens to an earlier time that owed more to the late '50s. Johnny's voice is a little too thin to fit into being a crooner, but as a pop singer his voice is smooth and his tone is really clear.

For me it was another good discovery and an addition to my Christmas collection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the