Skip to main content

Max Bygraves - SingalongamaXmas

Max Bygraves
Ah, a good old fashioned sing-a-long album full of medleys of all your favourite Christmas carols. Over the course of eight songs, Max accompanied by a full orchestra conducted by Frank Barber, would tackle and wrestle to the ground twenty eights songs, and one reprise.

Max was a British comedian, singer, and impressionist whose career started in the mid '40s and he kept going for over sixty years. He passed away at the age of 89 in 2012. It was his singalong series that apparently sold in the millions on Pye Records, and he wasn't targeting the youth market - he was aiming for an older demographic and was hearkening to a bygone era. The bottom right corner on this one has Vol. 8 which at first confused me, were there seven more in this series? Well, yes ... and no. There weren't seven Christmas albums, but this was his eighth.

I have to admit that I had prejudged the album based solely on the cover. It looked like a children's record and I figured the singalong songs would be a sort of generic gang vocal chorus of kids and Max cranking out Christmas classics.

From the first track with the first medley that started with "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" where Max sings "We wish you a lot of presents..." before the song segues into "O' Come All Ye Faithful" and the song takes on a more reverent tone. Max may have been a comedian but he was also a hell of singer, and his ability to casually move between songs with his rich voice is actually a lot of fun.

The medleys themselves aren't a hodgepodge of songs mixed in a blender, the sequencing and order has been carefully structured and there's a reason things are braided together. When he sings "Away in a Manager" he weaves it together with "Silent Night" and interestingly "The 23rd Psalm" which I thought was really cool.

Max slips in and out of the sacred with ease, and probably my favourite is the medley that opens side two that starts out with "Come Landlord Fill the Flowing Bowl" and from there goes on a bender adding in "Little Brown Jug" "Just a Wee Doch An' Doris" "Here's to the Good Old Beer to Wash it Down" "Let's Have Another One" and "Rolling Home" it is literally a medley filled with good cheer. As Max sings "Tomorrow we'll be sober."

back cover
I was caught of guard when he launched into Slade's 1973 classic "Merry Christmas Everybody" as it was actually pretty good - oh, it pales to the original, but he makes it own and he pairs it with "I Wish it could be Christmas Everyday" another 1973 classic, this time by Wizzard (Roy Wood, baby) and to be honest, it isn't a medley as he does both songs pretty much in their entirety. Gotta hand it to Max, he may have been aiming at the old folks but he was stuck in the past.

By the time we get to the closing medley Max has gone through the season and closes out with what reads like an odd pairing of "Silver Bells" "Mary's Boy Child" and ends with "Auld Lang Syne."

I gotta hand it to Max, this was far more enjoyable than I had expected, and considering how much Christmas music I have it's always fun, really fun to discover new stuff I've not heard before. 

Ho Ho Ho.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the