Skip to main content

A Streaming Pile of Hit: Amaziah - Straight Talker

Amaziah

A Streaming Pile of Hit - where you put the "s" in hit is up to you. 

Yeah, a number of months ago I figured I'd get a subscription to a streaming service. Why not? Oh I still have a lot of records to go through, and if that were to get dull I have a few thousand CDs but streaming was that last uncharted frontier for me.

There's something awesome and also sort of mind numbing about being able to just have about everything at your fingertips. For me it's being able to find the gaps in a lot of my collection, or to revisit things I used to have but haven't heard in years, sometimes decades. It's also being able to discover new stuff without having to wait.

The biggest kick with records is finding those treasures that have been forgotten, truly forgotten. There's no second life in the cloud - they have been cut off and left for dead. It's bittersweet but kind of rewarding, but mostly sad knowing that you are among the last ears to bear witness to what once was. I was trying to figure out where to start with this streaming thing ... so I went back to one of those albums I had as a kid that I was sure was buried away forever. To my surprise there it was, just the way I remembered it. Strangely, it was a recording made from a record as you could hear the occasional pop and click. It was as if someone just used one of those USB record players and made a copy. No effort to clean up the clicks and pops that could have easily been done between tracks especially. I suppose the master tapes have been long lost. At least it was there.

Considering the album, it only added to the experience. When I got this, it was on Tunesmith records, who at the time were a relatively big deal here in Canada. Their label was home to artists like Servant, Randall Waller (yes, that Randall Waller. If you know, you know) and Quickflight's debut. Amaziah was a reprint that came out in either 1980 or 1981 depending on what you read. The original mix was released in 1979 and it was an odd duck even then. The cover featured a bunch of kids who looked like a rock band, with serious punk overtones. I remember really disliking this ... oh I tried. I put "He is Lord" on my mixtapes for a while because the opening riff sounded like "No Mister Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper ... and from there the similarities ended. It didn't take long for this to be buried in my collection, and there it remained until I lost it.

I don't know what made me think of these guys. I think part of it was a test to actually see if it would be available to stream. My first thought was, "I wonder if this still is better than I remember." Short answer is a qualified "Yes" but like I said, it is qualified. Part of the reason is I really don't like to shit on things. If you don't have anything nice to say and all that. So I will say there were a couple of odd surprises. This is not a polished effort at all. At times there are truly some cool bones underneath some of the cacophonous racket ... there are also some real cringeworthy moments too. Like when the guys decide to deliver an overly earnest ballad in "All is Peace" it is truly horrible. Much of this can be firmly laid at the feet of the band's vocalist Derek Elliot. To say he's an acquired taste is an understatement.

For all that though the rest of the band is actually pretty competent even if the album was mostly a hot mess. The keyboard player and guitarist were actually very good, and when things were good it was these guys who elevated the material.

From what I've read the guys in the credits don't match the guys on the cover photo. Which apparently happens more often than you think.

Derek Elliot - Lead Vocals
Jeremy "Jez" Coad - Guitars
Dave Steel - Keyboards
Paul Loader - Bass
Phil Williams - Drums

Apparently Jez Coad would end up producing a couple of Simple Minds albums in the early 2000's which was pretty cool. Amaziah would record one album, and for all that, in some circles it's the stuff of mystery and wonder and is sought after by collectors.

I found that I really enjoyed the nostalgia more than the music, and I listened to this a few times. There was one song though, a mid-tempo song called "Slowly" that was a real surprise and probably is the best song on the album. Musically this is a killer, and Derek's vocals are a little less like a sledgehammer hitting a hamster over and over. The album's closer "He is Lord" was actually better than I remember it ... and after all these years I did remember it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...