Skip to main content

Dan Fogelberg - Windows and Walls

Dan Fogelberg
Back in 1993 when Denis Leary was teaching kids how to spell asshole, he also had a bit where he was lamenting how screwed up and upside down the world had become on his track "More Drugs."

Judas Priest on trial "because my kid bought the record, and listened to the lyrics, and he got into Satan." Well, that's great! That sets a legal precedent. Does that mean I can sue Dan Fogelberg for making me into a pussy in the mid-70's? Is that possible, huh? 

I have to admit I did laugh at the time, because let's face it, songs like "Longer" and "Leader of the Band" were pretty syrupy. They made the most maudlin songs by Jim Croce and Harry Chapin (okay it was really only "Cats in the Cradle" but let me have it). Dan was a heck of a player make no mistake, and despite how sucky those songs were, they were also really good.

Did I have any of his records ... hell no. My girlfriend at the time did have The Innocent Age, and we'd sit on her parents couch and neck while it played. Look, I'd have listened to Lionel Richie if it meant I got kisses ... oh wait, I did.

Regardless a strange thing happened in the spring of 1984. Dan Fogelberg strapped on his electric guitar and released "The Language of Love" and it was a surprise. It wasn't a hard rock song, but it rocked and when I found out it was Mister Folgelberg I was more than a little surprised.

I went out and bought the album. The lead off track was the big song, and it is still a fantastic pop song, and I will give props to Dan for his tasty lead work. Who knew? Also a nice surprise was seeing names like Kenny Passarelli and Joe Vitale's names in the credits. As an added bonus Timothy B. Schmit was adding harmonies. 

Now before spinning this again, the only song I remembered was "The Language of Love" but I also knew the album was pretty good, I just couldn't name any of the songs.

Dan Fogelberg looking dapper
As the album played through there was a delicate balance between the singer songwriter and the Danm who wanted to cut loose a little and show off his rock and roll chops. It worked. After all, '84 was only a few years removed from the late '70s heyday of the schlock that was in the DMZ (demusicalized zone) between disco and hard rock. Dan was able to play to his strengths there were a lot of guitar and string arrangements. Some of them really really good, and a few years earlier would have been huge. "Believe in Me" is a beautiful song.

Probably the crunchiest song on the album and the one that feels the most dated from the keyboard sounds, was the closing track "Gone Too Far" that while flirting with current sounds, was very much a '70s rock song. It's also pretty good, and features the Porcaro brothers on the drums and bass. Dan cuts loose on the guitar. While Dan's voice was better suited to his acoustic songs, he was no slouch on the mic.

For me, I'm still drawn to his harder side. He may have flirted here and there with some of the current technology, especially on the closing track, but for the most part he was still being himself, just with a little more distortion.

back cover
This would be the last time Dan would be on the radio, at least radio I listened to. Although he'd follow up with High Country Snows a year later I didn't pick it up. Like so many of his contemporaries Dan couldn't cross the bridge from the '70s to the '80s - which isn't a bad thing. Dan was very much of his time.

Windows and Walls is a really solid album. One I'm really glad to have found again. Of course after almost forty years it's all about the music, not when it was released. I never felt like 

Dan turned me into a pussy, and if Dan was a pussy he was a cat with claws.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the