Skip to main content

John Fahey - The New Possibility: John Fahey's Guitar Soli Christmas Album

John Fahey
Here we are at the end of Christmas celebrating Epiphany. In addition to the traditional gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh I offer to you John Fahey's 1974 re-issue of his 1968 album The New Possibility. An album that was an unexpected surprise and will no doubt become a record I return to over and over.

I had no idea who John Fahey was when I picked up the album, all I knew was it had an interesting cover, that could have been released any time over the last fifty years. It was the definition of simplicity, and it was on Takoma Records, a label I knew from Truth Decay by T Bone Burnett way back in 1980. I figured it was likely some acoustic flavoured collection of Christmas carols and that would be just a-okay by me. One of my all time favourite Christmas albums is A Christmas Collection by Neil Hogan that came out in 1989, and featured finger style steel string renditions of popular favourites.

The album opens with "Joy to the World" and sure enough it was exactly what I was hoping it would be. Now, the album doesn't have a date on the jacket, and the album is devoid of a date stamp and in the dead wax there was the catalogue number and a stamp that said, "Mastered at Allen Zentz L.A., Cali" so I couldn't really get a read on how old this was. Not that this is relevant at all, I just found it interesting. The recording was also really crisp and the guitar was nicely dialed in. There are so many recordings from the late '60s and early '70s that sound, well, terrible.

John curated an eclectic array of standards and some lesser known selections that are skilfully melded together. Most of the songs are finger style, with very little augmentation or studio effects. He does go into hybrid blues mode with slide on a couple of songs and it's really cool. None of the songs are overplayed, and the gymnastics are kept in check. His playing serves the song, something a lot of players could be reminded of on occasion. It's one of the reasons why I don't go back to Tommy Emmanuel's Christmas album as often as I'd like to. While his playing is out of this world, at times the arrangements are more of a showcase of dexterity and ability than musicality. Although I'd give my brother's right nut to be able to play like that. Regardless, this isn't Take Shots at Tommy day, and to be fair (to be fair) his album isn't entirely solo guitar.

It's hard to pull highlights out of the lot, but I will say that some of my favourite moments are on the second side, from "Lo How A Rose E'er Blooming" one of the most beautiful carols ever, and his interpretation of "Go I Will Send Thee" but really they're all so good.

From what I've read this Christmas album came about because he was in a record store around Christmastime and it was artists like Bing Crosby that were everywhere, and a good Christmas album was like a gift that kept on giving. John figured he should make a Christmas record too, and sure enough John Fahey's Guitar Soli Christmas Album would remain in print for decades. I'm guessing it didn't hurt that Takoma Records was a label he had started back in 1959 with Ed Denson. He was sort of his own boss in that regard.

back cover
It's strange to think that among the names in folk who crossed over from Dylan, Lightfoot and Joan Baez and a host of others, John's name is one I'd never heard. I realized there were a lot of names I knew from that era and it sort of surprised me, as I'm really not a huge fan of the '60s folk scene - although I do love me The Smothers Brothers. RIP Tommy, you were a genius.

Like so many artists before him, and many who would come after, personal demons and poor choices inevitably culminated in an early death. John passed away in 2001 at the age of 61.

Still, he did leave a gift that keeps on giving and if you've a hankering for a wonderful collection of carols played on the guitar, this is something you should give a listen to.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...