Skip to main content

John Cougar Mellencamp - Scarecrow

John Mellencamp

With 1985's Scarecrow John Mellencamp's transition into what would later be known as Americana was complete. When this was sparkly and new it was a little harder to peg. It was definitely rock, with echoes of times gone by and it was at odds with what was currently in fashion. That didn't stop this from being embraced by those who liked rock.

For me it was an odd experience. I'd never really been a huge fan, but I had to give the guy props, because when he was good he was untouchable. His previous album had "Pink Houses" which alone was enough to earn my respect. However, with Scarecrow I got my back up, almost immediately after the first time I heard the song "Small Town." In fact I got a bee so far up my ass it coloured everything, and I mean EVERYTHING he was to release after, and even altered my perception of the stuff already out there.

I started to think of him as a second tier Bruce Springsteen, and that he was a preening little peacock who suffered from a serious Napoleon complex (I don't know how tall he is, but I am quite certain he's shorter than I am). I wasn't being an asshole about it ... at all (that's sarcasm, I was totally being an asshole). I was entitled to my opinion, even if it was wrong.

I've tried to rationally look at what got my knickers in such a knot and honestly no one else seems to have ever mentioned it, and I've tried to Google it too and all I get back is ... nothing. Apparently no one else hears "Let My Love Open the Door" by Pete Townshend when they hear "Small Town" which still boggles me, but honestly other than a similarity in the opening chord progression the songs are nothing alike. Still, for almost four decades I've been mentally shitting on the song, and all things Mellencamp.

Why for heaven's sake buy the record?

Why not?

I think partly because I knew I was somehow in the wrong, and this was a chance to peel back a layer of silliness and examine things under the cold light of day ... and a cup of coffee, and perhaps another cup of coffee.

The album opens with "Rain on the Scarecrow" a song that truly announced this new John Mellencamp. The sound was raw, and there was an urgency to the music and John had something to say. He was coming into his own as a lyricist. The intro to the guitar solo still slays me. Good lord the band was on fire. Driven by Kenny Arnoff's driving beat (his drums on the album still sound awesome), and the twin attack of guitarists Larry Crane and Mike Wanchic was on point as they played off each other. This was phenomenal, and engineers Greg Edward and Don Gehman captured the band as it was. On fire.

As the first side played out, I found myself really getting into the album. Heck, while I still can't unhear Pete Townshend at the start of "Small Town" I can appreciate it now a lot more than I ever did before. While there were a couple of songs I didn't get into as much, "Minutes to Memories" and "Face of the Nation" there was the glory of "Lonely Ol' Night" that just elevated everything around it.

insert

The second side wasn't as familiar to me, aside from "R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A." but it also gave me a chance to sit with the lyric sheet and read along while I listened to what was going on. I found "Between a Laugh and a Tear" to be a really great song, and Rickie Lee Jones counter vocals were so good.

I'd actually forgotten about "Rumbleseat," a song that initially felt a little like a throwaway but was a bit of a surprise as I found it growing on me. It may just be that after listening to the album over and over as I worked on cleaning out my basement studio I was softening on ol' John.

Of course, not everything is gold ... I still can't quite get into "You've Got to Stand for Something" a song that's so earnest it practically demands to be respected. My favourite line on the whole record is here: "I know a lot of things, but I don't know a lot of other things." It's so goofy it almost redeems the song ... it's fine in the context of the album but it bears more than a passing resemblance to "Crumblin' Down" from his previous album.

John then pulls out the few remaining stops and lets the band off the hook for the album's closer "R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A." a song that even with what sounds like a recorder solo (see, that's why we learned to play it in elementary school) is a killer track - I'll say it again, the band was on fire.

back cover
Scarecrow was the album by John (we're on a first name basis now that I like him) I had the most baggage with, and while I'm still unable to not hear "Let My Love Open the Door" when I hear "Small Town" I can let the two live side by side in relative peace. I mean, if no one else was bothered by it, I don't know why I have to be a dick about it.

Besides, the album is really good and still sounds so fresh. The band was off the hook (I said fire three times already) here and there was a cohesiveness to the whole album that just made everything fit together. While not every song is a hit, nor a sparkling gem to be discovered, everything on the record was here for a reason, and even the last minute decision to include "R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A." was the right call.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...