Skip to main content

The Dream Academy - The Dream Academy

The Dream Academy
"Life in a Northern Town" has long been one of my favourite songs. A dreamy (see what I did there?) song that seemed to be out of sync with the trends of the times, and yet it fit like a glove at the same time. The song propelled the band into the public consciousness but didn't seem to pull the album along with it. I know for me as much as I loved the song, and its association with co-producer David Gilmour, a little nugget that was often mentioned on the radio, I never bought the album. I likely wasn't the only one.

The song would over time become one of those tracks that would appear on multiple '80s compilations, as for the band, they were relegated to that most horrible of fates: The One Hit Wonder. Of course as is the case with so many of these bands who had their 15 minutes of fame, there was a lot more going on. Airplay and hit singles (in the singular) often do not define a band. For me it would take almost thirty years for me to hear more of their work when I picked up a copy of their 2014 compilation The Morning Lasted All Day: A Retrospective and it was so good.

One of the great tricks the band was able to pull off was sounding like a techno new wave band while incorporating a variety of acoustic instruments to create their ethereal sound. They were right in the mix of great UK bands at the time, from Echo and the Bunnymen to The Psychedelic Furs (who were the kings of the John Hughes soundtracks) but let's be honest so many of those great post-punk new wave bands were well known, but not especially well known if you know what I mean.

the band
The Dream Academy were centred on the trio of Gilbert Gabriel, keyboards and vocals, Nick Laird-Clowes, lead vocals, guitars and harmonica and Kate St. John, oboe, cor anglais, piano-accordion, tenor saxophone and vocals. The band was augmented by various musicians, and the result was a rich sound that was very organic, and still sounds really crisp.

The majority of the tracks were produced by David Gilmour, and Nick Laird-Clowes except for "The Love Parade" which was produced by Alan Tarney, who was having a bit of a career resurgence following the success of his production work with a-ha and Cliff Richard. It's a killer track, and was the follow up single to "Life in a Northern Town" but I honestly don't recall ever hearing it on the radio. It reminds me of something you'd hear on a Sergio Mendes album. It's an excellent song.

back cover
This was a really solid album, and while the songs were cohesive, they were varied enough to not all sound the same. It was a very pleasant surprise. If I'm allowed to say it, and I will - this was dreamy stuff you didn't have to go to school to appreciate.

The band would make three albums, their last studio release was in 1990 and then they disbanded.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...