Skip to main content

Larry Norman - Bootleg

Larry Norman - Bootleg
I can't put into words the impact Larry Norman's music had on me when I was a teenager. In the mid '70s there were a bunch of older kids who were into Larry Norman, and I wanted to be like those kids. At the time Larry had just released  In Another Land (1976) that was the final album in his trilogy, and a few years later that would be my first Larry Norman album. By the early '80s Larry had started his own mail order company and under the Phydeaux imprint he was releasing some of his earlier albums, and a lot of live and compilation albums. I ate it all up, and went back for seconds. "Please sir, can I have some more?" In his newsletters there was also something new coming, and there was a map of upcoming albums ... that never materialized. At the time though it was still pretty exciting.

I had heard snippets of Bootleg, although thinking on it now, I'll bet it was Street Level, (it was, thank you internet) from my friend Gerry, who seemed to have everything when I was a kid. It was an album that always had an air of mystery. As time went by I more of less forgot about this particular album. After the new material dried up, there seemed to be an inexhaustible treasure trove of old recordings that over the course of a many, many, many CDs seemed to cover just about everything, except the stuff on Bootleg, although it's been a while since I waded through them. Then at the age of 60 he passed away in 2008,

It made me sad. He was a polarizing figure who was I'm sure as much a saint as he wasn't. Rock and Roll is not an occupation for the faint of heart and I'm sure he was a jaded as any one who'd spent their lives on the road.

Larry Norman during his early years was always on a major label. For the first two albums in his trilogy, after being released from Capitol he would be signed first with Verve, and then he'd move to MGM. After this he form his own label Solid Rock, but his distribution arm was handled by Word.

gate fold
Bootleg covers a time period of four years. Larry was 21 when the first People! album came out, and in 1969 Larry released Upon This Rock on Capitol records, and despite the album being a creative success, sales were another story, and he would be dropped by the label in 1970. Side one titled 1968: The Early Years contains a number of early versions of songs from his debut. Side two was 1969: The One Way Sessions, and many of these songs are featured on his trilogy and these early versions are cool to hear, and the bones of the songs are there, but just aren't there yet.

The second album is also broken into two sections. The first side 1970 - 1971: Mixed Media is a collection of interviews. Larry was all of maybe 23 when these were recorded. It's an interesting snapshot of the early Jesus Movement and there are more than a few references to end times theology, that feel very much of a point in time. However, the underlying sense of the secularization of society was something that was occurring, however, the underlying sense that Christians were being actively oppressed and rounded up just sounds hollow now. I'm sure there are people who will point to this and say he was right, the method of oppression was more cunning and silent, and accomplished the same ends without firing a shot. There is an earnestness to his delivery that was very much attuned to his audience. For me, this is more of a snapshot into the man and what helped make him tick. He was a natural storyteller and performer who could have an audience in the palm of his hand before they knew what was happening. I was able to see him on a couple of occasions, once with a band, and once solo and both times were riveting. The album closes with 1971 - 1972: Maranatha that gets back to the music, and there are a number of songs that would become classics (really they are, you just have to be in the right circle) on his later albums. This is probably my favourite section. It's really good.

back cover
Bootleg is an album for fans. It's a snapshot of a point in time that's a little like watching old home movies. Some of the songs are unfinished, the quality at times is grainy and a little out of focus. 

In short it's awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the