Skip to main content

Lorence Hud - Lorence Hud

Lorence Hud
If you mention the song "Sign of the Gypsy Queen" you'll get a flash of devil horns and a comment about April Wine. Okay maybe not the devil horns, but most of us remember when we heard April Wine launch into the opening notes of the song. It was awesome and it was written by Lorence Hud. When it was first released it was a regional hit in Canada, but I have no recollection of the song at the time. I was ten, so it's not like I'm going to be reliable regardless ... although some of those early memories are indelibly stamped into my brain. I always knew there was another version, and over time had read enough on the song to assume April Wine had taken some bare bones and reconstructed the song we know and love. That's partly true. There's more than enough in Lorence's version including a section with dual lead guitars to give the song a little more bite than expected, and it's a really good song, but not the great song April Wine released. Still give credit where credit is due.

Signed to A&M his debut came out in 1972, and it must have done enough to warrant a follow up, and sure enough he released Dancin' In My Head in 1973 and after that went dark. He'd resurface in '82 with a four song EP on Quality records and that's all I could find on Discogs. Allmusic was even thinner. 

What I know for sure is the debut exists because I'm playing it. Lorence had taken a page out of Mike Oldfield's bag of tricks and on he's credited with just about everything on the album. It's pretty impressive to be honest, and he's a really good musician. His voice is especially good. He has a really great timbre. The music mostly stays in a soft rock, almost folk vein. It's a little hard to nail down to a specific genre, but it's a very organic feeling album, and for something recorded in 1972 the album sounds remarkably crisp clean. "Grab Hold & Hang On" is stunning. It's almost a hymn, it's a simple piano ballad, but my goodness the emotion he conveys is heart wrenching. It calls to mind Trooper's 1977 song, "Oh, Pretty Lady" in a way, but obviously Lorence's song came first. Who knows, maybe the guys in the band heard this album. It is possible.

This is one of those albums that with a few spins will get a little better each time. Oh, make no mistake I'm not making a case that this is a classic album, but it is an enjoyable listen, and I suppose in a world where there is so much enjoyable music what is it that makes this worth hearing? That's harder to argue, but I will say so many of the artists we consider classic had more than a little luck, benefited from time and place and over time familiarity has given them the added element of nostalgia. Coming into something old as a new experience represents a completely different listening experience. We already know the end of the story, we've heard all the music that came after. Whether or not I think this is a lost classic or a collection of mediocre folk flavoured pop songs  won't move the needle one way or the other. Listening to this, and hearing a collection of really enjoyable songs, it does make me wonder what would have happened with a little luck difference circumstances. There are a couple of songs here that could have pushed this over the top if they'd had the chance. There's a melancholy in this kind of experience.

I'm actually a little surprised that there isn't more out there on his music. He does have an official web-page, and it's a strange and perplexing read. I remember seeing the movie Lenny in the early '80s, and it was a riveting and devastating movie that captured the spiral into oblivion Lenny Bruce went through ... at least as the movie portrayed it. Reading through Mr. Hud's page reminds me of the scene in the movie where Dustin Hoffman is standing on stage reading his court transcripts expecting his audience to hang on his words and be in his side.

I don't have the wherewithal to make any judgments on his story, so I'll just stick to what I know which is music, and based on his debut it was an enjoyable album. History has already mostly erased his contributions, as his two albums on A&M aren't on any of the streaming platforms, and without digital representation it's just a matter of time until he's forgotten entirely. Which is a shame. If for nothing other than hearing his original version of "Sign of the Gypsy Queen" his music is worth preserving. 

back cover
Lorence penned a short poem on the back of the jacket

A play is but a script until it has had
an audience.

Art does not exist without appreciation.

And so this album is dedicated to
the listener,
for music cannot play without your ears.
 
Well Mr. Hud, I heard, and I listened and I really appreciated the album.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the