Skip to main content

Rockpile - Seconds of Pleasure

Rockpile
I had no idea what rockabilly or roots rock was back in 1980. That's not necessarily accurate, as I really liked Dave Edmunds' classic "I Hear You Knocking" from his 1972 album, coincidentally titled Rockpile. Nick Lowe had some success with his '79 album Labour of Lust. Both of those guys would mine old time rock and roll and put a little twist on things.

With Rockpile, Nick and Dave were joined by Billy Bremner and drummer Terry Williams (who would later sit behind the kit with Dire Straits), and the band would release one album, Seconds of Pleasure, that yielded a minor hit, "Teacher Teacher," that felt fresh and classic at the same time. There was a buzz about the album and I remember my buddy Gord, who knew such things, said this was a killer album. I never bought it, and never heard more than the one single, and then the album drifted into the abyss and would be one of those things I knew about but nothing about at the same time.

credits

Here I am sitting and grooving to the album and the record has aged like a fine whisky. I suppose my younger self would have liked this, but it would have been quickly shelved as I moved on to the next loud thing in my collection.

The album mines the classic rock formula and blends rockabilly with new wave, and the results throughout are really quite good. The songs are crisp and there's a confident swing and swagger to the songs that gives them a timeless feel.

The band featured three lead vocalists, and while it's Dave and Nick who handle the majority of the duties, the two songs fronted by Billy were really solid. The guys really complemented each other, and frankly any one of them could have handled all of the vocals, but each guy brought something to the table and the little differences and nuances were suited to the songs they sang.

back cover

It was a fun trip and while I'm not sure how often this will see the light of day, I'll give props to "Teacher Teacher" as a song that should have been bigger as it really did capture that magical intersection between classic power pop and new wave.

I played the album several times, and frankly got more than the seconds of pleasure that were advertised.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...