Skip to main content

The Monks - Bad Habits

The Monks

Best known for "Nice Legs, Shame About the Face," The Monks were a short-lived band who seemed to come out of nowhere from the UK along with a host of other imports and disappeared almost as quickly after they released Suspended Animation in 1981.

The band was part of the early wave of British New Wave with punk leanings that seemed to catch on with Canadians in the very early '80s. Bad Habits, although released in 1979, didn't hit the shore here until the first quarter of 1980, and while "Drugs in My Pocket" cracked the top 20 on the Canadian charts, it's not the song most of us associate with the band. I suppose it depended on where you were at the time. Growing up in a small town where radio was somewhat problematic, we tended to rely more on word of mouth and Music Express.

The band would draw the ire of the record-buying public in the UK because John Ford and Richard Hudson were not real punk rockers, as they were once members of The Strawbs - the antithesis of punk - and Rick Wakewan was once a member of the band ... ick. Which was a shame. As this was a lot of fun, but apparently it was too much to allow a couple of old establishment wankers to pull a fast one on the record-buying public, and Johnny Rotten (Sex Pistols) said The Monks were rubbish and a poor imitation of his band.

The songs are all decent, and while listening now they don't have the same gut punch and impact this seemed to have when I was a kid, it was still a lot of fun getting to hear this again. I'm still drawn to "Nice Legs, Shame About the Face," as it's the most fun, and a close second is the band's trippy surf instrumental "Skylab (The From The Monks)" ... okay, it's not a true instrumental, as every so often someone yells out "Skylab."

back cover
It would seem that in North America, particularly here in Canada, the band was taken at face value and the band enjoyed a degree of commercial success they were never afforded in their home country. Bad Habits would end up going double platinum (depending on the timing, this was between 200 and 300 thousand units), and their follow-up album, which was only released in Canada, would go gold. Then, as quickly as they burst onto the scene, they would disappear, leaving behind two records and a legacy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...