Skip to main content

Bruce Cockburn - The Trouble with Normal

Bruce Cockburn
It's been a long time since I've sat and listened to this one all the way through. When I wrote about World of Wonders almost a year ago, I spent half of the meanderamble talking about this particular album before finally getting to the point ... or as close to the point as I ever get.

When I think of this album I think of two songs, which happen to be the one-two punch that kicks off side one. The title track, with the awesome stick work by Dennis Pendrith, and "Candy Man's Gone," a song so good that it still stops me in my tracks. When Mister Cockburn had a mind to, he could craft one hell of a pop song that had some real bite to the lyrics. There were no baby baby songs here. This was heavy stuff that you needed to sit and read as you listened.

I'll be the first to admit that I like the shiny objects and the pretty music with a hook. For Bruce, it seemed like he relished setting the hook early and then seeing how much he could get away with before he lost the fish. In keeping with that analogy, I'll freely admit that once I'd tasted the worm on those first two cuts, the nearly eight minutes of near-spoken-word poetry over musical dissonance that was the challenging "Hoop Dancer" would more often than not lose me. I have no idea what it's about, but my goodness, it was earnest and wonderfully crafted ... and I still don't really like it, but it is a wee bit of art.

liner notes

What would a Bruce Cockburn album be if it didn't nearly collapse under the serious musical hubris of an artists' artist and a guy who walked the walk and talked the talk? I know this sounds like I'm shitting on Bruce, but I'm not. Even listening to this, I feel intimidated and intellectually stunted. I feel like a little kid who accidentally got seated at the adult table at Thanksgiving and everyone is talking about grown-up stuff, and all I want to talk about are guitar solos.

So no, I'm not shitting on Bruce ... I'm in awe of Bruce, but I also don't care for some of the music. Thankfully he'll throw in enough "pretty" pop songs to appease the Luddites like me who buy records.

Thank you, Bruce.

the band credits

As you can tell, I'm going to spend the rest of my time skimming along the surface and praising the album for the songs that meant a lot to me over forty years ago. When I dropped the needle, the opening to "The Trouble with Normal" just transported me back in time. I was 20 and this was fresh and new, and it was so good. It was the song that made me want to buy the album, and as I played it I was looking for the next pop masterpiece. I didn't have to wait long for "Candy Man's Gone," and that would have been enough for me. There were more, though. "Tropic Moon" was yet another weighty pop song. I wasn't used to music like this.

The songs that resonated all those years ago still get me in the feels, and the songs I didn't spend as much time with mean more to me now with the passage of time. The album still sounds great, and even the songs I found more challenging in my youth have a sonic punch that'll still take your breath away. Bruce was (is) a master player, and the band is no less adept.

I'd forgotten how haunting the closing track "Planet of the Clowns" was. If I'd remembered before I'd dropped the needle, it would have been top of mind. It wasn't, and as it played, deep and forgotten memories were exhumed. It's a poignant piece. If I'm being honest, it's probably the favourite revelation as I revisited the album. Lyrically, I'm not sure how to take the song. It reads like a lament and it seems like everything is pointless, and in the end we all walk on the same beach and no one escapes getting a soaker.

back cover

I suppose that really is the trouble with normal ... it always gets worse.

Oh, by the way, Mister Cockburn, thank you for expanding my musical horizons. I may not have always appreciated what you did, but I did listen. I just didn't always get it. I still don't, but I'm trying. Oh, on the plus side, I loved your guitar solo on "Tropic Moon" — way to rip it up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...