Skip to main content

Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever

Ted Nugent
Okay boy howdy hang on to your hat, I'm about to drop the needle on Ted Nugent's 1977 release Cat Scratch Fever. This will be my first time sitting and actually listening to the album. At the risk of repeating myself, something I do a lot, as a kid my love of Ted started and ended with Double Live Gonzo! It was everything I wanted in an album, and with my limited budget it covered all the bases. As the years went by I never really felt the need to go back and revisit his early albums, and that was okay.

Over the last couple of years I've managed to snag a couple albums and they've been good fun, but listening to albums now doesn't have the emotional gut punch I used to get in my youth. If there's anything that kind of sucks about getting old (and there are a lot of things that suck, trust me) it's that making deep connections with anything is harder than it used to be. Hearing the studio cuts of some of the songs I only really knew from their live iterations was fun, really fun ... and more often than not I try to imagine what my teenage brain would make of this stuff. Cat Scratch Fever featured the core band I associate with Ted's best stuff. Derek St. Holmes on vocals and guitar, Rob Grange on bass, and Cliff Davies on drums. Cliff also co-produced the album with Ted and Tom Werman. 

The album opens with the killer one two punch of "Cat Scratch Fever" and Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" both of which would appear on Double Live Gonzo! This was awesome stuff, and it didn't stop there. The album kept rocking, and the closing cut on side one, the instrumental "Home Bound" shares the same structural riff as Steve Miller's "Swingtown" which was likely coincidental ... or was it?

The second side opens with "Workin' Hard, Playin' Hard" featuring Ted's galloping guitar and a dual guitar lead that settles into a steady groove. It's a decent song and one I could see going over like a house on fire in a live setting. Another that caught my attention was "A Thousand Knives" it's a bit of a shit show to be honest. When the song started my ears pricked up, but as the vocals came in the song seemed to collapse, and then the riff (a somewhat inverted "Just What the Doctor Ordered" thing) would pick it up again, and Ted's solo was tasty. Too bad, it's a song that'll no doubt get better with repeated plays. This was just how it felt as it played the first time (additional, post script, it is a grower and a hell of a song. It's the vocals, or more to the point how they were records that just seemed out of sync with how the rest of the songs sounded. Maybe that'll soften too with more exposure).

I probably should have just sat and listened first, and then started plopping down my brain nuggets ... this no doubt reads as a disjointed free for all (I'm not above cheap call backs). I don't often sit and write down initial thoughts. Mainly because they tend to be half formed and sometimes the first impressions just aren't enough to reveal what's actually going on under the hood.

inside gate fold

Overall though this was vintage killer Ted, and the band was on point. Before punk and new wave changed the landscape there was still a place for guitar driven boogie woogie guitar but that window was starting to close. This was still a time when the classic blues structure was a key ingredient and the new age of hard rock and metal was just starting to emerge. Ted's swagger and bombast allowed him to have one foot in each camp, but the reality is he was a turbo charged blues man, and Cat Scratch Fever was about as good as it got in that regard and represented Ted at his commercial peak.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the