Skip to main content

Pete Townshend - Empty Glass

Pete Townshend

The future had arrived in 1980 and it was dragging the dinosaurs into the light. Suddenly Pete Townshend was standing in the open, looking around like he meant to be there. Perhaps he did. I mean, as a kid I wasn't unaware of who he was. Who he was. Ha, that's a good one. I kill myself. Bottom line, though, he was old. Woodstock old.

That was old.

So it was weird to hear and see so much of Pete Townshend at the beginning of the '80s when there were new sounds and new artists that were demanding attention. Okay, when I say so much, it wasn't as much as you'd think, but the songs that were generating what seemed like constant rotation was probably over in the space of a couple of months. As a teenager, time and physics don't work as closely as they do when you get older. Time is malleable, and those summer months where I first heard "Let My Love Open the Door" were magical times. Full of late nights by the lake, sleeping in a cabin, working in the bush with my best friend and trying to figure out how to open beer bottles without an opener. In reality, I probably only heard the song a few times on the radio, but it was so good that I was always hoping to hear it again rather than another song by Air Supply.

lyrics - too small to read?
The song that really felt like Pete was making a case for relevance in the new decade was "Rough Boys," a song that got me in the feels much like when I first saw the movie Warriors. When after a really shitty night the DJ on radio comes on and says, "It turns out that the early reports were wrong, all wrong. Now for that group out there that had such a hard time getting home, sorry about that. I guess the only thing we can do is play you a song." the needle drops and the opening chord salvo to "In the City" by Joe Walsh plays and I got goose bumps.

It was also one of the first songs where I remember seeing the video on the late night concert TV shows. At first it was irritating as I wanted to see Pete perform, not stand around in a smokey pool hall miming the words.

Over the years these two songs rightly became classics. Well, I assume they're classics. Nah, they're classics. CLASSICS!

insert
You'd think I had the album back in the day based on all the glowing silliness above ... and you'd be wrong. I loved hearing the songs when they were on the radio, but I didn't really want the album. If I was to spend money, it would be on Styx or April Wine. Yeah.

I found the record on sale when my favourite shop decided to have a sale of epic proportions and price everything, EVERYTHING in the store at $2. It was insane. I probably still have close to a hundred albums to properly listen to. It took me a couple of hours to go through the store ... but I did. This was among the treasures, and it's finally getting a spin (actually, it's been about three so far) as I work away in the basement.

Setting aside the two stellar pieces on the record, the album is decent. Bordering on really, really good. It was a solo album, but at this stage in The Who's career, it certainly seemed like Pete was holding on to his best work for himself. There was an urgency to many of the songs, and it seemed like Pete wanted to leverage his own past that seemed to be the template for some of the punk rebelliousness. The problem was that Pete was old, mid-thirties at this point, and out of touch. It slays me to read that now, knowing that he was still in reality just a young man and as full of piss and vinegar as his younger counterparts.

Then there are the credits. I'm still like a little kid who can't get enough. I love reading them as much as I ever did. In some ways, it's a lot more fun now as I know so much more than I did when I was a teenager. To see names like Kenny Jones and Simon Phillips on drums gives me a little thrill. Heck, Tony Butler played bass on most of the tracks, and a few years later he'd be in Big Country. Dang, how cool is that?

It's enjoyable, it really is. The sad part is it'll never really have a chance to get under my skin. That ship sailed over forty years ago. My enjoyment now comes from equal parts nostalgia and appreciating the songs for the craft behind them. I suppose that's my way of saying they were kind of forgettable and didn't stay with me when they were done. I'm not saying there aren't some really solid songs; the whole album is enjoyable. I have become partial to "A Little Is Enough" and the title track. These, among others, stood out after a few plays.

back cover
Still, there were those two jewels, and my goodness, they are crowning jewels and on their own make this album something special. I still find it interesting that Pete dedicated "Rough Boys" to The Sex Pistols. An honour I assume they couldn't not have given two shits about at the time.

I never (never say never, I don't have it yet) picked up his '82 follow-up, but I would pick others as they came out. Each album always had something that stood out. He knew enough to never let the listener leave with An Empty Glass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...