The Riddle dropped in the fall of 1984, several months after his debut Human Racing was released. 1984 was a good year for Mister Kershaw. Although The Riddle wasn't as successful in North America as his debut, it was the album I preferred. I likely picked this up a couple of years after it came out, as I still think of this as being an album that I was listening to in 1986 or 1987. Which means I found it on sale and took a chance on it.
Sounds about right.
Listening to this now, with the benefit of hindsight and perspective that I didn't have at the time, I'm struck by the change in tack between his debut and what he was writing and recording for his follow up. Right out of the gate "Don Quixote" was an odd blend of techno with elements of funk. A little bit like what Level 42 was doing as well - oddly enough, Mark King would guest on the closing track on side one, "Easy." At the time I wasn't a big fan of Level 42, although Mark's talent as a player cannot be denied.
On the subject of talent. I'd actually forgotten how talented a musician Nik was (is), as he played guitar, bass, and keyboards on the album, in addition to providing the vocals. His bass work in particular is really good.This was an album I always liked, a sort of guilty pleasure, as this wasn't really the style of music I sought out, but there was something about Nik Kershaw I appreciated. The first side was pretty decent, and the song I tended to gravitate to was the odd mid tempo "Wild Horses" that was really catchy, but not quite a single. However, the songs were cohesive, and I always enjoyed them together. Heck, listening to it again, "You Might" is a decent rock song ... after forty years the album is still full of surprises.
The second side, though, was my favourite. Leading off with "The Riddle" there's just something infectious about this tune, and if you get a chance to see footage of him at Live Aid it's pretty bloody amazing.
The only song on the entire album that always felt a bit stilted was "Wide Boy," the only song I saw a video for at the time. It was getting decent play, and to me was a perplexing follow up to "Wouldn't It Be Good," at least here in Canada. I will admit that over four decades my opinion has softened a bit ... still a goofy song.
However, the biggest surprise on the album to me was the closing track, "Save the Whale," a song that pushes six minutes and isn't quite techno prog, but it is an environmental lament for saving the whales. It's a haunting song, and was a surprise when I first heard it, and remains one of those strangely engaging songs that added to the album.
The Riddle is still a remarkable piece of pop wizardry and for me was as far as I went with Nik's music back in the '80s. It's not like I deliberately stopped listening to him, I just didn't keep up, and I wasn't alone apparently, as most of us seemed to jump off the bandwagon after this release. In my case it was more out of sight and out of mind than anything.
It didn't help that I thought this was the last album he'd done back then, so it wasn't like I got off the wagon, the wagon just seemed to stop.
Comments
Post a Comment