Skip to main content

The Rascals - Time Peace The Rascals Greatest Hits

The Rascals

Time Peace The Rascals Greatest Hits was an album I found in a dollar bin. For my buck I wanted to get "Good Lovin'" and ended up getting more for my buck than I expected. The record jacket still had the original shrink wrap on it, and I couldn't bring myself to peel it off, so I didn't. The album itself was in better shape than I expected considering the liner was long gone. Very few pops and clicks. Yeah, I got my dollar's worth. Apparently there was a gatefold version as well ... that would have been nice.

I assumed the cover was a nod to Roy Lichtenstein mixed with Andy Warhol. Or not, who knows. I'm just trying to put that one semester of art history to use.

The album crams fourteen songs onto two sides, and while there are a few covers they appear on the first side. From what I can tell the songs are presented in chronological order and in the early days outside writers helped flesh out their repertoire and songs like "Good Lovin'", "Mustang Sally" and "In the Midnight Hour" were among the band's early singles.

I could take or leave their version of "Mustang Sally" but they did a decent job with "In the Midnight Hour" and their version of "Good Lovin'" is definitive. The best of the original tracks on side one was "You Better Run" which got a second life when Pat Benatar covered it in 1980 on her Crimes of Passion album.

The second side featured songs written by the band's vocalists Felix Cavaliere and Eddie Brigati, with Felix handling most of the lead vocals. The songs are all pleasant and I guess fall into what became known as "blue-eyed" soul. "Groovin'" was really good, and a song I recognized. Score one for classic radio.

back cover

It's too bad the recordings sound so anemic. There are some really good songs here that you can tell would be absolutely awesome if they only sounded better. I don't think you can lay this at the feet of the band. Sure they produced their own albums, but that's what engineers are for. Frankly it is what it is, and it's not like The Rascals are alone in having great songs that don't sound great (cough, Rolling Stones, cough cough).

While this isn't representative of my favourite style of music from the late '60s there's a reason some of the songs by these guys are classics.

At the end of the day, this cost me a dollar, and I got a lot for my buck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...