Skip to main content

Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues

Talking Heads

I was never really what you'd call a big fan of Talking Heads. I was a casual, and I knew more than a few songs. They were kind of cool, but also irritating.

I think part of my active ambivalence stemmed from when I was a kid watching them back in '79 on Saturday Night Live. It was their performance of "Artists Only," with the childlike lullaby, that I found befuddling. This was '79, and art rock was pretentious and stupid - at least to me. I wanted to hear the big guitars and rock out.

Why I still remember a performance I saw on TV a grand total of one time is a mystery.

This was the cornerstone of my reaction to Talking Heads for a long time, and while I'd freely admit to enjoying a lot of what I heard, on balance my opinion was primarily dismissive.

Then came the summer of '83, and I'm driving down the freeway in my little blue Nissan Pulsar. I've taken the sunroof out, and the top of my head is poking out of the hole in the roof. I have the radio cranked, and suddenly I'm bombarded by the opening salvo from drummer Chris Frantz as "Burning Down the House" blares through the speakers.

This was so good. It still maintained the good weird Talking Heads were known for, but it was different at the same time.

insert

Of course, me being me, when it was confirmed to be a Talking Heads song I was less enamoured. I never bought the record, but when it came on the radio, the volume would go up.

Then a year later, when the band dropped their live album and concert Stop Making Sense, I couldn't pretend like these guys weren't the shit, and not shit. The live version of "Once in a Lifetime" remains one of my favourite songs - ever.

Then when they followed that up with Little Creatures and the oddly awesome Howard Finster cover (who would also contribute a cover to Adam Again for their '86 release In a New World of Time - that's another story), I found myself buying the band's records.

Although I didn't go too far back, nor did I keep going forward after these ones either.

I'm getting a bit off track... anyway, I would eventually get Speaking in Tongues, and it was this album that marked the tipping point where the band had figured out how to balance art and music.

It's not like the band changed to become more commercially accessible. It's just that it took a while for the rest of us to catch up, and for a brief period of time Talking Heads intersected with the mainstream.

It was glorious.

Yes, coming from a casual, this is what I thought, and this was based primarily on their big accessible songs. But a high tide floats all the boats, so by osmosis I took in all of the songs on the album.

insert

I lost my original record (and the others I had) years and years ago, but in the early '90s I picked up Popular Favorites 1976–1992: Sand in the Vaseline, and it had everything I needed. So I was content.

When my favourite record shop had to shutter, they moved a bunch of their inventory to an auction site. For a while I managed to snag a lot of stuff at the minimum bid, which was a lot of fun, but also added up pretty quickly.

Among the sealed treasures I was picking up was the Rhino reissue (sadly the black vinyl, but hey, you can't hear colour) of Speaking in Tongues that was just like it was back in '83, but better.

Unlike the '80s, when there was a vinyl shortage and records seemed to be getting thinner and thinner, this was a solid 180 grams of goodness. I wonder if the rather flexible nature of vinyl records back then was the inspiration for "Making Flippy Floppy"... it is possible.

The album holds up remarkably well, and the big songs back then are still the big songs now. It's not like every song was a sparkling gem, but boy howdy, the album was a lot more fun than I remember.

Even the overly quirky songs were fun.

I suppose this was due more to changes in me than in the source material. With the passage of time, the band is now nicely interwoven into popular culture, which is a nice trick if you can pull it off.

I suppose I'll never really be a true-blue fan, but I like what I like, and there was a lot to like here. I'm still more or less a casual fan who has a little more knowledge than a bag of hammers.

For a glorious moment in time through much of the '80s, rock, dance, and good old-fashioned weird intersected in a musical Venn diagram that defined commercial music, and in the centre was Talking Heads.

back cover

This was really about as good as it got for the band. Sure, they'd follow up with a couple of really decent albums, but the band had peaked, and while we didn't really know it at the time, the band was running toward the dead wax.

Thanks for sticking around to the end. If you're wondering, I did actually read this before posting and realized it was quite a disjointed collection of snippets, anecdotal musings, and repeated thoughts that never quite resolve into anything coherent.

In a way, this would have fitted better if I was writing about Stop Making Sense. I suppose this whole streaming spew of silliness is more akin to (wait for it, you know it's coming)...

Speaking in Tongues.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...