Skip to main content

The 77s - Ping Pong Over the Abyss

77s
The Seventy Sevens, the 77's, The 77s ... depending on what era you started with you're likely more than familiar with all of the variations. The band's debut album must have been gestating a while before Exit was able to secure distribution. The back of the jacket has this as 1982 as that's when it was recorded, and the songs are mostly from 1980, with one of the newer ones 1981 and a cover of "Denomination Blues" that was attributed to Ry Cooder.

This isn't an album I'd heard back in the day as the Christian bookstore I relied on was pretty good at bringing things in if I asked, but I had to know what to ask for. By '83 my initial infatuation with a lot of Christian music had run its course, and my ability to try and like stuff that was inferior had more or less been exhausted. That isn't to say there weren't bands I still followed, but they were in the minority, and they tended to be good bands.

The first couple of 77s albums flew under my radar, and I became aware of the band when their third album was picked up for distribution by Island records. I still remember reading the Rolling Stone review, and my interested was piqued ... but I couldn't find the album in the regular stores, and then over time more or less forgot about the band. 

This all changed in '92 when a band called Lost Dogs released Scenic Routes. The band was comprised of Terry Scott Taylor (Daniel Amos, The Swirling Eddies), Michael Roe (The 77s), Derri Daugherty and Gene Eugene (Adam Again). I originally got this because of Terry Taylor and over time I'd find myself getting into albums by all of the guys.

At the time it was relatively easy to pick up Sticks and Stones and their self titled album, Pray Naked and from their I'd keep up in real time. It was the band's earlier albums that were a little harder to find, and frankly no one gave two shits about records, and it wasn't until I was able to secure a copy of the band's 123 Box Set off eBay that I was finally able to fill in the blanks.

For all that I never spent a lot of time with the debut album. It was a curiosity, and there were a couple of pretty amazing songs I really liked, but I just cherry picked the ones I liked and then moved on. Decades later, I stumbled upon a vinyl copy of Ping Pong Over the Abyss (and All Fall Down) at a small, tucked-away shop at Pike Place (of all places) during a trip to Seattle. It was a great score. Admittedly it was All Fall Down I more excited to hear, but figured I should start at the beginning. 

So here I am.

insert
The album itself is a bit of an odd duck, it's a pretty uneven effort but every so often you get to hear a proper quack. Still it's also more than a little strange trying to retroactively see where it's fitted into the hierarchy of 77s releases, especially when you have the benefit of knowing what would, and what would not happen. Like a lot of bands who have more than one person who can sing, and one guy who can really sing, the guys who shouldn't are given their moment anyway. Which doesn't help to be honest, but there's also a certain rough charm in hearing Mark Proctor and Mark Tootle take their turns behind the mic. Thankfully Mike would assume the role as lead vocalists after this one.

The band was Jan Eric Volz on bass, Mark Tootle on keys and guitar, Mark Proctor on drums, and Mike Roe on guitar. The album was produced by Steven Soles who'd been a member of The Alpha Band, and had toured with Bob Dylan.

As much drubbing as this album takes, and it takes a lot I also have to give props to an album that's over forty years old. The first thing is to immediately address the elephant in the room - Christian Music. For so many of us who were indoctrinated with a lot of questionable "music" with a message, the 77s were among the handful of bands at the time who had honest to goodness chops. I think much of the abuse this album takes is at the hands of Christians who didn't get it. I'll admit that I have the same bias to a degree, but the reality is 77s were measured against a real measuring stick, and they weren't given any special gimmes because they were a "Christian" band. 

It's true the album meanders and flits about not really settling on a specific genre, and that's okay. If the songs are good does it matter? The band did have a sound and it was a synthesis of '60s pop mixed with good old fashioned rock and roll, and the results would as they say, vary. However, even here the band was beginning to carve out their niche. 

back cover
The two best examples, at least for me (today) were the last two songs on the second side.  "Time is Slipping Away"is simply a stunning song, and it does hearken back to another time while foreshadowing what was to some by the band, and the album's closer "Denomination Blues (That's All)" while a cover, highlights Mike Roe's emotional vocals and equally emotive guitar playing. His slide work would give David Lindley a run for his money.

Yeah, Ping Pong Over the Abyss is uneven, but there are more than enough moments here to make this essential listening to fans of well crafted pop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the