Skip to main content

The Cry - Leave Your Bones in the Hall

Cry vs Cry
Leave Your Bones in the Hall was the second album by The Cry. Kimball Fox (Kim Berly of Stampeders fame) and the band were back for another round, although this time drums were provided by Chas Mitchell. This was a truly collaborative effort with most of the songs on the album being attributed to all of the members in the band. I'll admit that when I see that in the credits it makes me happy. One for all, and all for one stuff.

Musically the guys were capturing lightning in a bottle with their brand of harder rocking skinny tie new wave, even getting the flat robotic backing vocals down. Who knows why the band didn't catch on. Then again the debut suffered the same fate, being relegated to obscurity. The band is more or less a footnote, or the answer to a trivia question.

Which is a shame.

Insert
The music was really good, although to be honest, by '81 the new wave propelled by the organ and catchy hooks had already crashed to the shore but the tide hadn't gone out. It's not like it wasn't still popular, but things were changing and boy howdy those transition years between '79 and '81 went by in a hurry. Music, as it does, would evolve and take bits and pieces and incorporate much of the energy and structure into what became the sound of the '80s.

From the opening track "These Are My Times," the band really came out swinging, and they didn't let up. This is the song that should have been a single. It was a great marriage of rock and new wave. The song had teeth. For a bunch of guys who were likely in their early thirties they were still full of piss and vinegar and they weren't about to sit still and let life pass them by without getting in a few good shots. All of the songs are tight little pop gems and it's an enjoyable listen. There aren't any duds, although there really isn't that big "holy crap" moment where time stops, although there are a few songs that really come close. I'm not sure the album suffered for it. A good album is a good album, and this was solid all the way through.

The Cry
The album was on a small imprint, Orient Records, and RCA was the distribution partner. As near as I can tell, it looked like RCA was the driving force in getting this out to the public. Like I said, it was a small label and by all accounts folded after a couple of years. I wonder who had possession of the band's master tapes? In this age of streaming where even the most obscure stuff has managed to find its way into the digital realm, The Cry remains buried.

The Cry would release their final album on RCA a year later in '82, Guilty Fingers. It would suffer the same fate as the band's previous releases and shortly after the band would fold.

Which was a Crying shame, but such is the way of rock and roll.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...