Skip to main content

Louis Clark Conducting The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Hooked On Classics

Hooked on Classics
A weird and inexplicably goofy thing happened in 1981. Disco made a brief but memorable comeback inside a Trojan Horse containing rearranged versions and snippets of classical pieces mashed together, alongside a steady drum beat that never varied or wavered. The album was arranged and conducted by Louis Clark. Yeah, the same Louis Clark who once was an integral part of those early Electric Light Orchestra albums who arranged their strings and stuff. The guy must have fallen on hard times to be sucked into the K-Tel universe. Except this album caught on - all over the world it was a hit, and the single, "Hooked on Classics" was a staple on the radio that summer.

Heck this album's impact is probably what gave birth to the mashup, inspired DJs to drop their own beat over any existing piece of music, no matter how mundane. All of it owes a debt of gratitude to the fine folks at K-Tel.

We're all poorer for it.

Still, there was something oddly wonderful about this album. The cherry on top was my dad liked it. The copy I have came from his collection, and I suspect I bought it for him as a Christmas present that year. My memory is kind of fuzzy - it was either this or one of those insufferable albums by Zamfir, the master of the Pan Flute.

They were the best of times, they were the worst of times.

It's a weird thing sitting here listening to Hooked on Classics. To say this must have been an ambitious undertaking is an understatement. Over the course of nine tracks, Louis Clark incorporated 109 distinct pieces of music over a steady drum beat that would have been exhausting and nearly impossible to maintain over the course of the album for a real drummer. I don't think even Phil Rudd, that stalwart of the steady, unflappable beat could have pulled this off.

Of course ambitious and enjoyable are not the same thing, and this album is a tiring experience. Once the initial charm of the first track, "Hooked on Classics Parts 1 & 2," wears off after hitting you with everything you thought you knew about classical music, it gets monotonous.

back cover
Those who love it ... loved it. 

K-Tel, never subtle about chasing a good thing, or beating a bad thing to death, would unleash a barrage of Hooked On titles ... and then as quickly as they appeared they were gone.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...