Skip to main content

Don Ho - The Don Ho Christmas Album

Do Ho

I found this one, and snapped it up. Sadly it looked to be in better condition than it actually was ... but I can stream it if I want to hear it without the Rice Krispie Players adding their own textures to the songs. It didn't matter, at least for the first few times that I played it in the basement.

Don Ho, you know Mister Tiny Bubbles himself, was someone I knew of, more than I knew of. I always figured he was a one-note joke and I didn't get the punchline. I had no idea what to expect. Somehow, in my mind, I figured he'd be milking his 1967 hit and signature song. "Tiny Snowballs" and the like. "Tiny Bubbles," from what I've read, was originally penned for Lawrence Welk as a tie-in to his champagne music. Mr. Welk passed, and Don Ho received it and scored a touchdown with it.

notes from the cover

Released in 1967, Don Ho nailed it with his easy listening collection of Christmas standards, "Silver Bells", "The Christmas Song", and a wonderfully slowed down and sultry version of "Mele Kalikimaka" that is better than you'd expect it to be.

One of the things I enjoy most about a lot of the older albums is getting to hear songs I've not heard before. The opening track, "The Song of Christmas," written by Kui Lee, was new to me, and a wonderful way to lead off the album. Others, like "O Bambino (One Cold And Blessed Winter)" and "Merry Christmas Neighbor" were a nice change from hearing yet another insipid version of "Jingle Bells" or "White Christmas" although there are some standards here ... it is a Christmas album after all.

Don Ho had a really warm baritone, and for an album that I've not heard before, it feels like a long-lost friend. It still amazes me that I'm still discovering music I've not heard that is this good.

Weird.

back cover

The album closes with a really nice medley of "Some Children See Him & Po La'i E (Silent Night)," which tied everything together. The album contained eleven songs and eight of them clocked in well under three minutes. I know it's an old adage to leave people wanting more, but this seemed to be over so quickly it seemed unfair.

If you're a fan of classic Christmas music, this is really something you need to add to your list. The nice list, just in case I wasn't being clear.

The Don Ho Christmas album was a great way to kick off the holiday season. It's too bad he didn't call himself Don Ho Ho Ho at least for this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...