Skip to main content

Living Strings & Living Voices - White Christmas

Living Strings & Living Voices - White Christmas

Here we go, another lush strings arrangement of some of the best holiday classics (best is subjective). I know I really shouldn't like this stuff as much as I do. This stuff manages to sit nestled in my sweet spot for all things nostalgic. I'm always reminded of the holiday variety specials I saw when I was a kid. This to me is the sound of Christmas. It makes me think of my mum, who loves strings.

This collection touches all the sweet spots (that's twice, now I'm going to work in the hat trick before I'm done) okay, maybe not all, but it goes for the big ones. The album kicks off with "White Christmas" and includes "My Favorite Things" and "Do You Hear What I Hear" and "Little Drummer Boy" which are pretty solid. Actually as I listen more closely the album really does have quite a few sort of new to me moments, which was unexpected and a nice treat.

notes

Probably the oddest moment that caught me off guard and gave me a good giggle was the saccharine arrangement to "Here's to You" which was probably a New Year's song ... I can't really tell. However, as the song nears the end, the singers start yelling out "Cheers" and "Happy New Year" in various languages and conclude with a heavily accented "Kung Hei Fat Choy" that's mixed a little louder than the others. Imagine Mickey Rooney's character from Breakfast at Tiffany's delivering the line and you get an idea. Still, it is what it is ... and for the time I'm sure they thought nothing of it, other than it was supposed to be funny.

It was.

I'm bad.

The songs here were arranged and conducted by Johnny Douglas, and he does seem to have a deft touch and brings a warmth to the songs, and the longer medleys on the album were very nice. Mainly because they're a little longer than the others and seem to be fully realized. The issue with so many of the Christmas songs is that they're just so short. The first is "Christmas Lullaby," which segues into a pretty version of "Silent Night" to close out side one. The other mashes up "Buon Natale", "Jingo Jango", "Jingle Bells" and "Bossa Nova Noel" before closing out with "A Merry Christmas Song!" It's probably the most '60s thing on the album.

back cover
While there wasn't anything really special here, as it was essentially a generic easy listening rehash of Christmas favourites, it was a very nice collection that embodies the holiday spirit, and when all was sung and done, it did hit that sweet spot.*

 

 

 

* There that was three. He shoots he scores. Give me a couple of minutes while the attendants sweep the hats off the ice and I start looking for something to write about for the next post.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...