Skip to main content

Season's Greetings & Joyeux Noel To Canada From Barbra Streisand ... and Friends

Barbra Streisand
Man, the '60s were cool. I mean it seemed like you could package an album for just about anyone or anything. Case in point, take this 1969 release, Season's Greetings & Joyeux Noel To Canada From Barbra Streisand. At first blush this looks like a Christmas album by Barbra Streisand ... until you turn it over and see the ... and Friends. Those friends were Doris Day, Jim Nabors and Andre Kostelanetz. I doubt they met up to discuss the album. What made this so interesting was that it was a Columbia Records special products release produced exclusively for Canada Dry. Yeah, Canada Dry. I wonder how you got the album? Did you have to send in bottle caps?

Before Celine Dion, it was Barbra Streisand who had the pipes. While I was never really a fan, I will admit that as a little kid I did like some of her songs from the movies. It's interesting that of all the holiday standards I never even knew Babs recorded Christmas songs. Well of course she did. The songs included on this special collection come from her 1967 album simply called, A Christmas Album. I just never heard any of the songs, or if I did, I don't have any memories of them, like the corners of my mind. Misty water-coloured memories of the way they were.

Forgive me. How could I not?

The first side of the album is all Barbra and the songs are okay and forgettable. I was hoping to discover a diamond in the rough, but all I got was a bag of coal. The second side was the one that was cobbled together with an assortment of Christmas songs. Jim Nabors had an amazing voice for a guy who spent his career playing a buffoon and saying, "Golly." The Doris Day songs likewise were fun, but this wasn't the good stuff, these were songs the label could cobble together and package at will. Probably the most fun is contained in the two medley mashups conducted by Andre Kostelanetz.

I suspect my rather subdued reaction to this album is due as much to the mounting pressure to get my Christmas chores done, and presents wrapped. I could have been wrapping while listening, but I decided to chill on the couch instead. Which was the wrong call as I just couldn't get into the Christmas spirit.

While this isn't an album that will make a lot of trips to my turntable, it was interesting to hear Barbra's songs. It's too bad the arrangements weren't as complementary to her voice.

I should have gotten a ginger ale out of the fridge before I sat down, that would have made the difference.

Maybe I'll take a mulligan and give this another play through.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...