Skip to main content

The Cry - Guilty Fingers

The Cry

Guilty Fingers was the third and final album by The Cry. Released in '82 on RCA, the band's swansong came and went with about the same amount of fanfare as their two previous releases ... probably less, I imagine. The core band was still Gary Scrutton on guitars, Brian Whitty on bass, and Robo MacPherson on keys and lead vocals. This time Kimball Fox (Kim Berly) was back on the throne playing drums and singing.

After two albums of skinny tie infused, new wave tinged pop, The Cry moved right into the middle of the road and delivered an uninspired collection of generic pop songs that were neither hot nor cold - they weren't just right either.

Which was a shame, as I had deliberately sought this one out because I had really enjoyed the band's first two efforts. It's not like Kimball Fox wasn't giving it his all on the songs he fronted. He was trying to muster a sneer and some attitude and while the songs aren't especially memorable, they are the better tunes on the record.

these guys

For whatever reason it seemed like Robo was determined to channel Bill Medley from The Righteous Brothers, and songs like "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" and "Chains" are more in the rhythm and blues vein and hearken to an earlier time. Frankly they're pretty good for all that ... but I was expecting the piss and vinegar and attitude that was such a big part of their first two albums.

The reality is that the tide was already going out on that first wave of new wave acts, and it was adapt or die. It's just too bad the band opted to steer themselves away from rock and roll and try and embrace softer pop with a little hint of R&B.

I'm trying to imagine this without the baggage of their first two records, and I suspect my judgment would still be about the same, although the more rock oriented songs by Kimball Fox would have caught and held my attention a little longer. The band got really close with the last couple songs, "Last Lonely One," which is one of them, followed by "Dance My Life Away," a dark brooding rocker. If the album had been more like these two songs, that album would have been very different.

back cover

Taking the album at face value and pretending I'd not heard their earlier albums, I will admit it's an enjoyable but fairly forgettable album that doesn't offend the ears, but it also doesn't really rise to the occasion either. It's a curiosity because of the association to the Stampeders.

Being a completist, I have no regrets, but it's also not an album that will see the light of day very often and I don't feel guilty about it at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...