Skip to main content

Goose Creek Symphony - Welcome to Goose Creek

Goose Creek Symphony

A shorter entry this time. I figured since I've done a couple entries featuring Goose Creek Symphony, I didn't need to rehash a lot of stuff and repeat myself.

After I'd streamed the band's debut, I was intrigued by the alchemy of hippy dippy rock and roots, so I set out to find their albums, and in short order I'd picked up the four records they released in the '70s. I didn't listen to them in chronological order. I initially skipped this one in favour of hearing Words of Earnest because that one had "Mercedes Benz" and "Guitars Pickin', Fiddles Playin'," the song my aunt told me about.

I was flipping through my records, and I realized I'd not listened to all of my Goose Creek Symphony albums. I was in the mood for something a little different, and I had an image in my head about what Welcome to Goose Creek would sound like, and ... I ... was ... wrong.

back cover

It wasn't a bad surprise at all ... just not what I was expecting. The album was a ripsnortin' hootenanny that was more roots and bluegrass with a little rock and roll thrown in here and there, but mostly this was a bluegrass album. The lone song that hearkened to their debut was the first cut on the second side, "The Corn Won't Grow, So Rock and Roll," and it's a scorcher and clocks in at over eight minutes, and then things settle down back into the bluegrass vein. Sadly the album I found didn't have any credits, but it looks like Charles Gearheart wrote a good chunk of the music, with Paul Howard Spradlin writing a couple.

It's still a lot of fun, and there are still enough hints of rock and roll to make this a little different than a typical bluegrass album.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...