Skip to main content

Koinonia - More That a Feeling

Koinonia

I bought this album for my dad because it was supposed to be a "jazz" album. I thought he'd like it ... maybe he did, maybe he didn't. He did, though, keep it, and recently when my mum was packing up her place to move, she asked me to go through the records and I should take anything I wanted.

Years earlier, when dad was still alive, he'd let me pillage his collection and I "borrowed" quite a few classics from early Ray Charles to Harry Belafonte, and those albums would be lost on my watch. So I went through again and picked out a bunch of stuff, mostly stuff I'd given him over the years and a few old gospel albums that looked interesting.

It's kind of weird listening to More Than a Feeling now after all this time and recognizing bits and pieces of songs I'd not heard in decades. I don't think I played this more than a few times back in the early '80s, but not heard it since.

What drew me to the band were the players. I'd seen guitarists Dean Parks and Hadley Hockensmith listed in the credits on a few albums, and both were monsters. Likewise with Alex Acuna and Bill Maxwell, two drummers who seemed to be on a lot of albums I had. Abraham Laboriel was a beast on bass, and Harlan Rogers was a name I'd seen on a Keith Green album.

credits

The album I suppose is jazz fusion, but man, I am terrible with genre labels. There are times it's jazzy, other times it's got more of a swing, and then there are moments that are sophisticated pop. Then there are times it sounds like game show music ... yeah, that sounds harsh, it's not a dig.

Just that over time this kind of jazz fusion blended with new age, and hearing this now I have four decades of other music that gets overlaid, and sometimes it makes for a little cognitive dissonance when trying to keep things in the correct order of operations.

All but two of the compositions are instrumental. The two songs that have vocal accompaniment aren't traditional songs in the way of chorus, verse, bridge. The vocals on "Divina" and "Give Your Love" are sung by Russ Taff, along with Harlan Rogers and Abraham Laboriel, and are for effect more than lyrical content. I really liked it.

back cover

The album was produced and engineered by the legendary Bill Schnee, and Michael Omartian was a special guest and played some synthesizer. He also, along with Tom Keene, did the synth programming. I thought that was pretty cool.

I really enjoyed listening to this, and it got me thinking about my dad, and I really hope he did like this one.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...