Skip to main content

Opus - Solo

Opus - Solo

Opus' Solo was one of those albums I found while looking through Redrum Records' online store. It's a little brick and mortar I liked to pop into every now and again. They used to have a few locations, and over the last couple of years the other stores have shuttered, and the last survivor is a little farther away and is a special trip.

Anyway, they have a really solid online store, and the navigation is awesome and honestly, they have a decent selection. One of the things I like to do is check for still-sealed items, and if they're cheap enough, I'll load a cart and then go pick it up. This last time there were a couple of items that looked intriguing enough to take a chance on. Solo was a German import that was still sealed, although over the years something spilled on the cover and seeped into the packaging. It's a small stain only visible on the back top right. When I went to clean the record, there was a fair bit of PVC mist, which was irritating, but it is what it is. The thing's been in that cover for almost forty years. I'm sure it would play perfectly ... and it does.

Now I probably should have just done what any normal person would do before spending ten bucks, and that's do a little googling and see if this was worth the money. I mean, is the anticipation of hearing those first few notes worth it?

Short answer, absolutely.

Does it always work out?

No, but it's always fun waiting after you drop the needle.

lyrics

Now admittedly, Opus somehow seemed familiar, but dang me if I could put my finger on it. It was like a little itch on my brain, but it was such a faint tickle it was like it wasn't there. It's like walking into the kitchen and opening the fridge and then standing there wondering where your glasses are.

Solo was released in '85, and on the record label were the words, "Digital Master Mix," which meant this was going to sound good. Digital was betterer than analog ... and here I am listening to records again. Go figure, it's the experience, baby ... not the sound quality. I'll crank a CD if that's what I'm after.

I drop the needle, and there's no snap or crackle, just a couple of moments of pristine silence (take that, PVC mist, you bastard) before the opening notes of "Idolater" fill the room. I smile - this is good! It's very '80s but isn't as heavily accented as I'd feared. There was something familiar about Herwig Rudisser's voice, but I couldn't tell if that was because I was trying to figure out who he sounded like. There were little hints of Jon Anderson from Yes, but mostly he had a pleasant voice and he could belt it out when he had a mind to. The songs were all solid, although a tad generic as well, but it was the good generic. There were pop songs, rock songs, ballads, and they were all enjoyable, and I found myself letting myself get into the album. The songs were in English, and the lyric sheet was in English, and the cover was in English. Which was good for me.

After playing it a couple of times, I figured it was now safe to look up the band.

insert

Opus had a massive hit here in Canada and the rest of the world in the summer of '85 with "Live is Life," a song taken from their live album released in 1984. The song seemed to be on the radio all the time, and the infectious opening still gets me in the feels. It's funny, I cannot recall ever hearing the band's name. It must have been a double-edged sword to have a track from the live album released the year before catching fire while you're in the process of recording a new album. I suppose Cheap Trick felt the same when Budokan took off when they were trying to promote Dream Police.

I was a little surprised to find that the band had been around since 1973, and it took them a while to release their debut album in 1980. This would explain the comment above the band credits: Opus - still the same old staff:

  • Herwig Rudisser - lead vocals, piano, guitar
  • Ewald Pfleger - guitar, vocals
  • Niki Gruber - bass, vocals
  • Gunter Grasmuck - drums, percussion, beat-programming
  • Kurt Rene Plisnier - keyboards, computers, vocals

I've found myself enjoying Solo more than I expected to, and once I had associated the band with "Live is Life," it actually seemed to add another dimension to the band. Funny how a little recognition added to the experience.

back cover

I bought this as a lark and ended up getting a lot more than I expected.

Did it work out this time?

Absolutely.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...