Skip to main content

Stu Phillips & The Hollyridge Strings - Hits of the 70's

Stu Phillips

My parents, particularly my mum, loved strings. Lush and syrupy and shrill. That's how she liked them. I bought a Frank Chacksfield record just so she could hear her favourite song of all time, "Ebb Tide" when she visits.

When she was moving out of her house she had to downsize and box up a lifetime of accumulated treasures. I went through the remaining records in the cabinet. I found quite a few that came home with me. Some I was genuinely curious to hear, and some were for her to listen to when she comes over.

This was one I was curious about. Stu Phillips & The Hollywood Strings, Hits of the 70's. The album was released in 1972 and the essay on the back cover says the record contains the main themes to three of the most successful motion pictures of the decade. Yup, two years in and they're already claiming they're the best of the decade. Then whoever wrote the back piece went even further by stating, "70's music is the most feeling popular music in the history of man." THE HISTORY OF MAN!

hyperbole

I gotta say I was hooked even before dropping the needle, and boy the album delivered the goods. In fact I'd go so far as to say OVER DELIVERED. Oh make no mistake, to me this is absolutely and unequivocally terrible. But, it is so terrible it almost goes all the way around to where it meets up with good.

Most of the arrangements are schlocky string reworkings of popular songs, where the vocalists give their all in huge choral aahs and oohs drenched in a thick soup of reverb. They're played straight, but there are a few exceptions where Mr. Phillips went for it, and unleashed something spectacular.

It's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff with an album like this. Most belonged on the threshing floor. The target audience was that weird group of people too old to be cool, and too young to be old. These regurgitated but recognizable renditions of popular songs could at least make them feel like they were still a part of what was going on. Back in the '60s Jackie Gleason was cool, Stu Phillips in the '70s was ... not. However he was entertaining at times, and I'll give props to Stu for trying to infuse some of his arrangements with a bit of shock and awe.

The best examples were the closing tracks on side one. A one-two punch that was so devastating I had to immediately play them again. Starting with a version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" that needs to be heard to be believed. The vocal line is replicated by a trombone. However, it was played down past the seventh position in a register so low I wonder if Mr. Phillips was aiming for the mythological brown note. It's a wondrous achievement. It's followed by the "Theme From Shaft." That's right, a bunch of white guys in a room getting down and getting funky. If you ever wondered what a wah wah pedal and strings sounded like together, this is what it sounds like.

back cover

Yeah, the '70s baby, they were cool. I mean how else do you explain albums like this? I am going to have to dig out the James Last album my buddy Wes gave me for Christmas next. If old people (honestly they weren't old, but they seemed old because we were young. I mean I was really young but others were just younger) couldn't be cool by listening to the original songs they were able to find a way to process them for mass consumption. I suspect this was the same kind of messed up thinking that gave us the Mini-Pops in the early '80s.

If this was the most feeling music in history then it was the musical equivalent of getting hit in the nuts. It was music that struck a nerve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...