Skip to main content

Paul and Linda McCartney - Ram

RAM

I found Ram in a discount bin and while there was some rash here and there on the record it looked like once the dust and bits of glitter (yes, glitter) were cleaned off the album was likely going to be a keeper. Sure enough after giving a cursory brush to remove some of the surface crap a cycle through the ultrasonic brought this one back to life. Aside from one or two moments of surface noise it played beautifully. I had briefly considered doing a little A/B comparison but I didn't feel like subjecting my needle to needless punishment.

Ram is an album I've seen for decades and other than "Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey" I didn't recognize any other songs. The gatefold I picked up didn't have any liner notes, so I'm not sure what originally came with the album but there were some basic credits, and among the supporting cast were Denny Seiwell on drums, Dave Spinoza and Hugh McCracken on guitar.

It's funny to me how when I was a kid I just assumed Paul's solo work began with Band on the Run. Ram was unusual as it is the only album that was attributed to Paul and Linda McCartney. The pair wrote many of the songs together as well as sharing production credits. Who knows how much of this is just credit on paper, but it certainly looks like a deliberate attempt to show unity. Who knows it could have just been a thinly veiled shot at John and Yoko - of course this is complete conjecture on my part with zero evidence to support such a claim.

So I'll just stick to listening to the album, and this is a new to me experience. I have to admit it's a bit odd working backward through decades of baggage associated with Paul's music - both good and bad. Ram is strangely engaging and if I was to be so bold, quintessentially Paul McCartney. Considering how closely this album was to the dissolution of The Beatles, Paul was already confidently charting his own musical path. There will always be a cross pollination between the two, but for better or worse, Paul sounds like Paul.

Gatefold

Reading up on the album it certainly seems like the album generated a fair amount of vitriol from the critics of the day. Rolling Stone wrote the album was "monumentally irrelevant" which seemed to be par for the course at the time. Time has been much kinder and the album is generally considered to be a classic of sorts.

For me, this is an interesting and pleasant listen. I was too young to be impacted by The Beatles breakup and I was too old to be one of those who thought The Beatles was the band Paul was in before Wings, though. Revisiting the album now is more nostalgic than anything.

There were some pleasant surprises that I really liked, "Too Many People" that opens the record, which is really good and I'm sure I've heard it before but I wouldn't have known where it originated. Of course to me "Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey" was awesome and it's a song I've always liked. "Eat at Home" is another fun song. The big surprise to me was the album's closer "The Back Seat of My Car" a song that at times is huge with the orchestral accompaniment and Paul is just swinging for the fences. The guitar solo that comes in at the end, likely played by Hugh McCracken sounds a lot like something George Harrison would do. Sadly the song then immediately starts to fade, robbing the listener of what could have been an awesome ending.

back cover

Ram was always an album I'd written off without actually hearing it which was my loss. Then again, there are so many albums, and only so many hours in a day and so many dollars in my wallet. I know I could just stream this stuff, but it's not as much fun.

Music should be intentional. I intentionally picked this one up and it was totally worth it. I guess I shouldn't mention that I ended up getting this one for free, that's another story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...