Skip to main content

China Crisis - Working with Fire and Steel Possible Pop Songs Volume Two

China Crisis

China Crisis was one of those '80s bands I knew of, but had never heard. To me they were just another early English alternative new wave band that never really caught on in North America. That first blush of European new wave synth pop seemed short lived and was quickly assimilated into what would become the sound of the '80s.

Fast forward four decades and a couple of years for good measure, I was flipping through the discount bin and there was a very nice looking copy of Working with Fire and Steel - Possible Pop Songs Volume Two and my curiosity was piqued. Oh, for the record (not this one) there was no "volume one" but it was the band's second album I'd find out later.

not an XLIIS

After a bath and a clean shirt (I replaced the insert) the album was ready. I seated myself on the centre cushion on the couch and had the lyric sheet ready to follow along. I felt very much like the guy on the chair in those old Maxell adverts. I would buy boxes of XLII-S tapes and when I got a new album I'd tape it on the first play. Well, I'm all out of those, but have a few tapes still floating around and yes, I do still make the occasional mix tape but don't have many places to play them.

Regardless, I'm just trying to say I was seated comfortably (was about to be) and had the volume cranked, to a comfortable level. I dropped the needle and rushed back to my seat trying to beat the opening to "Working with Fire and Steel" and my first impression was sort of what I expected but different. I sat with the lyric sheet reading along as each song played just allowing myself to sit and be engulfed. I'd move to my uncomfortable chair for subsequent plays as I hunted and pecked the letters to capture my meanderambling thoughts. Oh, if you're reading any of this you probably can guess I've been in my chair for a bit and my cozy initial play is finished.

insert

It was definitely that early romantic new wave with synthesizer overtones. It was right in the ball park with Simple Minds, OMD and New Musik. I'd lump Depeche Mode in there too, except they were always a bit darker whereas China Crisis seemed to be more upbeat and optimistic. Heck "Hanna Hanna" had an eerily similar lyrical cadence to Talking Heads' "Take Me To The River."

Despite the tendency to lean into new technology China Crisis worked to combine fretless bass, saxophones, trumpets and my favourite accent on a couple of tracks: oboe. The results were often spectacular.

I had hoped this would be good, I just didn't expect it to be this good. Most of the songs are paced quite comfortably in a mid tempo groove, although there are moments where the band delved into the atmospheric, and one of my favourites was the closing track to side one, "Here Come a Raincloud" that featured a haunting oboe and The Breck Road String Ensemble. I mean it is beautiful, and the meshing of the synthesizers and strings is so good. Flipping the album over "Wishful Thinking" is another standout track, again featuring an oboe and fretless bass and this time, E-mu Emulator strings, which work on the song. I hesitate to go down a track by track rabbit hole as I enjoyed this, immensely enjoyed this as a listening experience.

insert

The credits on the album while generous also tended to omit any surnames. So it was off to the internet to fill in the blanks. You gotta love the internet.

The band was centred primarily on Garry and Eddie who seemed to trade lead vocals and whose voices tended to mesh so well it was hard to tell apart. Garry (Gary Daly) played synths and Eddie (Eddie Lundon) played guitar and synths. The band was rounded out with

  • Gazza (Gary "Gazza" Johnson) - bass and fretless bass
  • Kevin (Kevin Wilkinson) - drums

The Supporting Cast:

  • Steve (Steve Levy) - oboe, saxophone
  • Roddy (Roddy Lorimer) - trumpet
  • Anthony (Anthony Thistlethwaite) - tenor saxophone

What I found interesting is that both Garry and Eddie were only 21 at the time, and this was their second album and had been together since 1979. The level of maturity in the writing is astounding to me now, although at the time I'm sure I felt that at 21 I was bordering on being an old, albeit immature, soul. I'm sure they felt the same.

back cover

The album was produced by Mike Howlett whose list of production credits is legendary. He helped shape early new wave. From Martha and the Muffins, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD) the Thompson Twins and A Flock of Seagulls the guy put his DNA into a genre. Heck, he even produced The Alarm's Strength in '85.

This was a wonderful surprise. I think I'll go back to the couch and give this one more spin before putting it away.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...