Skip to main content

Eurogliders - This Island (1984)

Eurogliders
Eurogliders This Island was a nifty little trip down memory lane. I found the record a while back when flipping through a discount bin and something about it seemed familiar but I couldn't put my finger on anything tangible. The track list didn't offer up much in the way of hints (they were there) but I put it under my arm along with a few others I'd found and figured it would be fun finding out.

It was. 

Turns out the lead off track "Heaven" was why this was familiar. It may not have been a big hit, but I heard it enough for it to get lodged into my brain. As soon as it started I was like, "Ah, I remember this ..." It was pretty bloody catchy, but seemed to fade away as fast as it popped up.

These are the kinds of albums I tend to get a kick out of revisiting. There's something really fun about this era of pop. 1984 was still pretty early into the new decade but the elements that would later be the defining sounds of the '80s were on full display. There were so many Australian bands who were carving out their own sound and in the process defining an era. There must have been something in the water they used to brew their beer. This was still a couple of years before the push to bring Foster's to Canada ... hmm, beer.

The band employed two lead vocalists: Bernie Lynch who wrote the songs (according to the notes) and played bass synth and Grace Knight who also played tenor sax. The two would alternate or sing counters and harmony with each other. Their voices are the key to the band's sound. 

The other players here were, Amanda Vincent who seemed to carry the heaviest burden on the keyboards, she also provided glockenspiel (oh ya) and bass synth. Crispin Akerman had that '80s tone dialed in on guitar. He plays exactly what's needed. John Bennetts provided drums, percussion and Paiste Cymbals ... which says to me he played breakables along with the programmed segments. Rounding out the rhythm section was Ron Francois who played bass and bass synth. Seems like everyone played bass synth.

Some of the songs do employ a drum machine on several tracks, that '80s flat splat is a hallmark of the times, however, the majority of the songs do feature a real drummer, and yes the snare sound is a flat splat, so go figure. This was my favourite slice of the '80s when the marriage of technology with actual musicians was complimentary and used to enhance. I have no issues with electronic bands, but there's something tangible when you have organic textures being supported with synths and programmed accoutrements. The featured horns, actual horns throughout is frankly awesome.

back cover
The album would go platinum in Australia, and the single "Heaven" would chart all over the world. Eurogliders would release more albums, but here in North America this would be the only time I ever heard them on the radio. Apparently the follow up to This Island released in the fall of '85 would also go platinum at home ... subsequent records not so much. Which is another story I am not qualified to tell. What I do have is This Island, and the entire album is full of nice pop songs, and there are no clunkers or duds. For a record I picked up on a whim I got way more than I expected in addition to the trip down memory lane.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...