Skip to main content

Eagles - The Long Run

Of all their albums, this is probably the one I return to most often. A lot of the appeal is nostalgia, but also time and place. That, and I happen to really like this one. I was too young to fully appreciate Hotel California when it came out - I loved the title track, but I didn't get the album until many years later. When The Long Run finally dropped in the fall of 1979, the music I was listening to then was part of my most formative years, and this fit right in with a lot of my other favourite artists.

New technology was starting to emerge as well, and the drum machine hand clap on "Heartache Tonight" was considered cutting edge. I heard a radio interview where Don Henley was explaining the drum sound and how they were going to replicate that in concert.

Considering their last studio album, not counting the Christmas single, was a couple of years earlier, it was an eternity between albums - and when they finally did get together to record the follow-up to Hotel California, it would take them a year and a half, and when the album dropped it was like they'd never been away.

It's no secret I'm a big fan of the guitar work of Don Felder and Joe Walsh, but the big surprise to me was Glenn Frey and his beautiful guitar solo on "I Can't Tell You Why." He didn't get the love he deserves for that one, as it is a song within a song. People go all aflutter over Timothy's vocals, but it's the total package that makes the song great.

Hotel California sold 32,000,000 copies, and their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 (also released in 1976) would go on to sell over 40,000,000 copies worldwide.

They were kind of a big deal.

This kind of success must have put the band under immense pressure, and they probably thought The Long Run would be propelled into the stratosphere like its predecessor. The album went platinum in the States eight times over - pretty impressive, but it must have been cold comfort to the band, who were likely expecting to continue selling tens of millions of records ... only to fall short by their standards.

For all intents and purposes, The Long Run was the end of their long run. Sure, there would be a live (it started live at any rate, before the overdubs) album in 1980, a few new songs on Hell Freezes Over (I am partial to "Get Over It"), and then the head-scratchingly tepid double album Long Road Out of Eden that I think I managed to get all the way through once before putting it on the shelf. The vibrant band of my youth was relegated to being a dog-and-pony nostalgia act.

For all that, The Long Run doesn't represent the band's nadir - I still love it. And even the throwaway "Greeks Don't Want No Freaks" shows the fun side of a band that was often portrayed as a very serious and grumpy bunch, except for Joe Walsh, who was in his own orbit and may or may not have known what was going on at the time.

Listening now to a song like "King of Hollywood," it's even more bittersweet than when I was a kid. Musically, the song still gives me the chills, as the guitar work is haunting. Heck, even their version of Joe Walsh's "In the City" works. I am partial to the raw power of the version on The Warriors soundtrack that came out a few months earlier, but here the smooth harmonies reveal a kinder version, and regardless of which version is better, it is a classic song.

The album closes out with "Sad Cafe," a song that to me always carried a lot of hope and melancholy. As I got older, the song seemed to grow with me, and I'm still moved by the lyrics, which is kind of cool, as let's be honest - the band was never known for their words.

Now I look at the years gone by
And wonder at the powers that be
I don't know why fortune smiles on some
And let's the rest go free

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...