Skip to main content

Eddie Money - Eddie Money

Eddie Money always seemed like a guy who was just on the cusp of being a really big deal. He'd get close, but he never really quite made it to the front of the line. His debut album was released in December of 1977, but the album gained traction well into 1978 with songs like "Baby Hold On" and "Two Tickets to Paradise," which were arguably two of his biggest songs.

I found this one in a bargain bin that warned me the album was sold "as is" and buyer beware. The vinyl looked fine to me ... and there were a couple of copies. I asked if I could swap covers, as one of them had Eddie sporting a wonderful ballpoint pen moustache, and the cover I ended up with had an old CFUN radio station sticker on it. I was fine with that, as CFUN had a lot of nostalgia associated with it - there was a time the two stations worth listening to in the early '70s were CKLG and CFUN, and you could bounce between them on your radio and find something worth listening to.

Oddly, the first album I bought of his was No Control, and I bought it because I loved the slide guitar solo on "I Think I'm in Love." The rest of the album was okay, although "Shakin'" was a pretty awesome song. I can't really remember much about the rest. This seemed to be a pattern, even on his debut - which, if I'm being honest, is a really solid effort and very enjoyable. It really comes down to two extraordinarily good tunes that have stood the test of time, and those are the two aforementioned songs: "Two Tickets to Paradise," the first cut from side one, and "Baby Hold On," the first cut from the second side.

I guess this is why, when I think of Eddie Money, I think of a guy who had some awesome songs, but I don't really think of the albums they came from. Which is unfair, I know, but it is what it is. The fact I'm sitting in my basement with the album cranked actually runs counter to everything I've just written. Life is full of little contradictions. While it's playing, it's very enjoyable. The production still sounds crisp, and the songs are all really quite good. If I was to play this really loud with Marc Cohn in the room and I asked him if he was a fan, I suspect he'd say something like, "Man, I am tonight."

I've played this through a few times, and each time I find myself enjoying it more than the time before - but I know that as soon as I put this back in its sleeve, it's like Tommy Lee Jones used his memory eraser on me, and I'll look at the album and only remember the two big hits. I'll play it again and wonder why I don't play it more often.

My friend Gail really likes Eddie Money, and when I found this album I thought of her. At some point when she and the gang are over, I'll put this one on and live vicariously through her reaction.

Mister Eddie Money passed away back in 2019, and he left behind a legacy of solid songs that would be the envy of many artists.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...