Skip to main content

Styx - Pieces of Eight

Styx is one of my favourite bands ever ... if I was tick off on my left hand my top bands it would often run something like, April Wine, PRISM, Styx, Toto and Cheap Trick. Depending on where I was on the curve some of them would change but Styx was pretty constant. I often forget SAGA and when I remember I just add them to my list.

It's a bit blurry now what I got first - I'm thinking it was the blue vinyl best of I that was a compilation of their Wooden Nickel albums. It was a treasure to me, and when I lost it I was pretty bummed out. I've been looking for another copy.

In my junior high school the band room had a great stereo and we'd be allowed to listen to records when on break. I remember hearing Styx's Grand Illusion, and later Pieces of Eight there. I also remember someone bringing in a John Travolta record and having to sit through Razzamatazz - let's just say it didn't have the same positive impact the Styx albums had - although as it turns out I've not forgotten it either.

With Pieces of Eight I started to collect their albums, and despite the sphincter clenching reaction I have to "Babe" from Cornerstone, I was drawn to their rock songs. I loved that the credits on Pieces of Eight included who played lead guitar (sadly the liner notes were missing from my replacement copy, but they're in the CD booklet so I'm still good). From my first exposure to JYs guitar playing I loved his work - oddly I never really liked the sound of his voice. Tommy was the new kid (although this was his third with the band) and I often found myself drawn to his songs, and he too was a great player. Even now I wouldn't say I'm Team Tommy, or Team Dennis (although if pushed I'd lean to Dennis) I was into Styx - the band.

With the band's eighth album they seemed to find the balance between their progressive roots and their rock sensibilities. It's funny to listen to this now as it's really not as great as I remember. It has "Renegade" and "Blue Collar Man" and right there is why my memory regards this as an excellent record. My often referenced friend Gerry had in his possession a pair of homemade speakers that were each the size of a decent sized refrigerator and the had what seemed like a 36 inch bass speaker, several mid range and tweeter speakers and horns and they were loud. We were in a church basement for some youth thing, and he'd set up his "stereo" and for the weekend we played records and practiced being nice to each other. Of course we had to play "Queen of Spades" a song that melted my face when I was a kid. It was the perfect balance of Dennis DeYoung's penchant for over the top theatrics with a blistering guitar track - as it was written by JY and Dennis that makes sense. The sheer volume attained by those "Cloud 9" speakers is the stuff of legend. Ah, memories. I wonder whatever happened to those things.

The first side was decent, and it's good for all that, and I really like "Lords of the Ring" the guitar parts are awesome. I wonder if they'd pitched this to Ralph Bakshi for his 1978 (much maligned) Lord of the Rings. However, the band really hit it out of the park on the second side. Heck, even the weird throwaway "Aku-Aku" that  closes out side two worked, as it felt like the band needed to take a breather before ending the album - basically allowing the listener to relax a little and process the awesomeness that had come before.

Rolling Stone of course that great bastion of knowing what was good (just to clarify, I was being sarcastic), didn't quite feel the same way, "... sheer self-aggrandizement on the most puerile level." Yup, whoever wrote that wasn't in their mid-teens and in love with guitar driven rock. The reviewer went so far as to question what was wrong with the people who liked this "slop" - yeah, slop. To that I still say, "Please sir, can I have some more?"

I normally try not to go back to buy on vinyl what I have on CD, but when I found a gold vinyl copy that wasn't too pricey I couldn't help myself. It looks cool, and I like it.

What other reason do I really need?

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the