Skip to main content

Eight Seconds - Almacantar

Eight Seconds - Almacantar

I always meant to pick this up, mainly because "Kiss You (When It's Dangerous)" was so good. For whatever reason, most likely budget, I never bought it. Oddly, none of the myriad of '80s anthologies I've collected over the years has the song on it. It sort of faded into obscurity as far as I was concerned.

Then, a while back, it popped into my mind. I likely heard it on the radio - I don't think it matters - but I jotted it down on my little pad of paper where I have my list of wants. Right next to Riggs, Alpha Band, and Randall Waller, I wrote down Eight Seconds, and what I thought was the album title: When Seconds Count. You'd think, carrying around the internet in my pocket, I'd have just looked it up. Nope. When Seconds Count was by Survivor, if you're wondering.

Eventually I did find it, and the album was titled Almacantar. This time I did use the internet in my pocket to figure out what the title meant. Well, to save you time, it's a staff instrument used to calculate the sunrise and sunset. I guess it's a little like a sextant, and the angle ranges from 15 to 30 degrees. So looking at all the gears and unidentified green head on the cover, which shows a range from 30 to 60 degrees, I must be missing something, but it's not going to keep me up at night.

Band Photo

The album opens with "Sincere," which bears more than a passing resemblance to Night Ranger's "Rumours in the Air" from 1983. The band then gets right to it with "Kiss You (When It's Dangerous)," and all is forgiven. This is a great song. It's got it all, except a shredding solo, but honestly, it would have distracted from the song. Besides, the keyboard riff by Frank Levin is perfect - he's so good throughout the whole record.

As the songs progressed, all of them quite enjoyable, I started to confuse what I was hearing with The Fixx. It's not like vocalist Andres del Castillo is a carbon copy of Cy Curnin, but boy howdy, there are certainly some pretty strong nods, from March Cesare's funky, articulated bass playing to the guitars played by Marc Parent and Andres. Scott Milks' drumming keeps everything moving without calling attention to itself, and that's probably part of why the whole thing hangs together as well as it does. They aren't in the same league as Jamie West-Oram, but they're quite good and are fitted exactly where they need to be.

Lyrics

I suspect this is due as much to producer Rupert Hine as anything. Mr. Hine had produced, among others, Reach the Beach, as well as the 1986 release Walkabout by The Fixx, so it's not like they were recording in a vacuum. However, it's unfair to call Eight Seconds mere clones of The Fixx. Sure, there are similarities here and there, but they were more a product of the mid-'80s than anything. After all, Rupert Hine also produced SAGA, Howard Jones, and even a couple of really good Chris de Burgh albums, and those albums didn't sound like The Fixx.

They were really good, and the album was a pleasant surprise. I expected one good song. Getting an entire album of mid-'80s goodness was just gravy. There really are quite a few hidden gems to be found here. Eight Seconds is a band that kind of makes you wonder, what if?

Back Cover

It didn't help that any momentum the band had with Almacantar was wiped out when their follow-up album, that was already coming two years after their initial brush with success, was delayed another two years. When Big Houses was finally released, there was really no one waiting for it. The band would break up shortly after. Timing is everything, and these guys deserved a better run than they got.

Oddly enough, when Myles Goodwin retired from touring with April Wine, it was Marc Parent - who didn't sing on Almacantar - who got the tap on the shoulder to step into his shoes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...