Skip to main content

Danny Joe Brown and the Danny Joe Brown Band

Danny Joe Brown

After Molly Hatchet's Flirtin' with Disaster Danny Joe Brown left the band and ventured out on his own and released his one and only solo effort as the Danny Joe Brown Band. The album was produced by the legendary Glyn Johns and was mastered by George Marino at Sterling sound. By all accounts it would seem that the folks at Epic put some budget behind the band and if it wasn't for the changing musical landscape I wonder if this wouldn't have been bigger.

1981 was the changing of the guard with a new decade underway and rock was becoming  more polished and the hair wouldn't get longer, but it was going to get bigger. New wave and techno were just on the horizon, and the three guitar attack of bands like April Wine, and Molly Hatchet - who would release their second album Take No Prisoners with Danny Joe Browns replacement Jimmy Farrar also in 1981, were on way out. Although April Wine's '81 release Nature of the Beast was huge, so there goes that theory. As revered as Lynyrd Skynyrd were, they hadn't been heard from since 1977, although the Rossington Collins band released two overlook albums, and their final album "This is the Way" came out in the fall of 1981 and no one noticed.

Molly Hatchet and Danny Joe Brown were on Epic, and both of their albums were recorded at Compass Point Studios in Nassau, Bahamas. I can't find the release date for Danny Joe Brown, but I suspect he was there first. I guess Epic got them a deal on accommodation. I had mentioned earlier it looked like Epic was behind the band, but I read an interview with Danny Joe Brown prior to his passing where he mentions that Epic did little to push his album, and they didn't do much in the way of promotion for the '81 Molly Hatchet release either. Apparently they wanted the Danny Joe Brown back with his former band and by tanking both albums was one way to force the issue.

Enough of the preamble, today is about The Danny Joe Band. Considering I'm coming into this after over forty years, I have the benefit of hindsight and can be as Ian Thomas once eloquently sang, "A retrospective genius." To be honest, I expected this to be a shitty album. Don't know why, I just thought, "This can't be any good." So of course I bought it. Boy was I wrong. It's a great piece of Southern Rock, and a worthy addition to my collection and is fitted nicely with those two overlooked Rossington Collins albums and my Molly Hatchet records.

Danny Joe Brown assembled a great band, and they created an album was balls to the wall* and the band channels the Outlaws and Skynyrd and Blackfoot with their submission to the rock guitar hall of fame "Edge of Sundown" an awesome three guitar attack that you'd think would at least get some love on classic radio - but no.

This was just plain old rock and roll with that southern twist, and the only thing I kind of hoped for, and hoped I wouldn't hear was Danny Joe Brown doing a horse whistle before a guitar solo kicked in. I guess he saved that shit (although it's cool the first time you hear it) for Molly Hatchet.

I came into this with my knives out looking for a way to take little pithy shots at an album that came out forty years ago and kick a dead horse. This was a real surprise, and honestly its a mystery as to why this didn't catch on. I wonder if a cover by Boris Vallejo would have gone over better than Danny Joe Brown in a blue sweater. Heck Molly could still have Frazetta, and both would be cool.

Sadly it wasn't to be, we got a picture of the sweater which just screamed rock and roll. The white loafers and blue jeans on the back cover didn't help, although I'm sure they were comfy. Timing is everything, and without a lot of push from the label the album hit the charts but didn't crack the top 100.

There's not a lot out there on the band, but as I have their picture from the cover let's at least identify the line up from left to right:

  • Kenny McVay - guitar
  • Jimmy Glenn - drums
  • Steve Wheeler - guitar, slide guitar
  • Buzzy Meekins - bass, backing vocals
  • John Galvin - keyboards, backing vocals
  • Bobby Ingram - guitar, slide guitar, backing vocals
  • Danny Joe Brown - lead vocals

After the album failed to do much, Danny Joe Brown would rejoin Molly Hatchet whose last album didn't do as well as expected, and the hope was the reunion would propel the band back into platinum territory. 

Yeah, that didn't work out as planned. Too bad things never panned out for The Danny Joe Brown Band, as this album was a keeper, and maybe it really was just bad timing. This is a really solid album, and there wasn't a dud in the bunch and like I said earlier, "Edge of Sundown" is a killer song.

Sadly Danny Joe Brown would pass away at the age of 53 from complication due to his diabetes. Oddly both John Galvin and Bobby Ingram would be the ones to carry on the Molly Hatchet legacy and are still with the band to this day.

* Balls to the wall. Have you ever thought about what that means? It's perplexing and I cannot fathom how this came to be an expression. So let me picture this, you have some guy pulling on his ballsack trying to stretch it out from between his legs and hold them again a wall, and somehow this means maximum effort or whatever. I'm sure there's a better explanation. I just don't feel like looking it up.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the