Skip to main content

Prism - Armageddon

Prism - Armageddon
The other day I was listening to GNP's lone album, the one with Robert Bevan on vocals, and it brought to mind the old CBC television show The Raes - that featured Robbie Rae (who was really Robert Bevan if that wasn't obvious) and Cherrill Rae. Prism guested on the show, and they played a couple of songs from their latest album. It's funny the pointless stuff you remember, but I still can't figure out where I hid my spare keys in case there was an emergency.

Armageddon was Prism's third album in three years, and this would be the album that would stand as the band's commercial high watermark. In the summer of 1979 the title track "Armageddon" was the best song I'd heard in a long time and over the decades has aged into one of the coolest rock songs - ever. It was pushing nearly eight minutes but it there were no wasted moments.

back cover
My summer job in 1979, the year I turned sixteen, was with the forestry service, and along with a youth crew of close to forty other raging hormonal teenage boys it was more than just a night to remember ... it was a summer to remember. Heck, my buddy Bill who could grow a full beard would mule beer and other assorted contraband into camp whenever we made a trip into town. I had a large bottle of Bacardi (that I couldn't stand, but thought it was more economical and each easier to stash than beer) that I never did drink - but I had just in case I needed to be one of the cool kids.

That magical summer we would sit around by the lake arguing over the merits of Van Halen II, curse disco, got sick of hearing "My Sharona" played Styx cassettes and wonder what boobs felt like. It was the summer I bought Caress of Steel by Rush (this has nothing to do with anything) ... but in the middle of all this was Prism, and we all agreed that Armageddon was a great song, and another great album by the band. One night one of the guys in our cabin ran a spool of wire up a tree, and then wrapped the other end around the antenna of his radio. We were basically up in the middle of nowhere, and he's farting around with the dial trying to see if anything would come in ... lo and behold we got a station from who knows where, and "Armageddon" was playing. It was a really cool memory.

insert
It's interesting to listen to this now, and realize a very young Bryan Adams co-wrote three of the album's eight tracks. Vocalist Ron Tabak was in absolutely killer form throughout the album. If there's a tragedy in Canadian music, okay, music in general - it's the sad tale of Ron Tabak and the equally troubled story of Prism - the band that should have had it all. I have no idea what really happened, nor do I want to. You read things here and there that are likely as accurate as the hamster in a microwave urban legend. As a teenager I justed just assumed a band who has a record deal are rockstars, and if they have songs on the radio they have to be millionaires. My friend Steve had a Lindsay Mitchell signature guitar - how cool is that? You don't expect them to have feet of clay and have the same problems and insecurities as the rest of us mere mortals.

Prism was as big a deal as any band in my opinion - and with Armageddon they cemented their place in history - at least Canadian History. From the opening riff on "Comin' Home" to the talk box solo on "Mirror Man" that closes out the record the band was firing on all cylinders. The songs still had an edge, and the band still loved their ballads - this time around it was "Night to Remember" a song that got used for a lot graduation ceremonies that year.

credits
The songs were much more straight ahead, gone were the heady keyboard parts that made John Hall so integral to the first two records. This was still very much a rock album, and while the songs were steeped in '70s rock roots, the band was making a gentle turn that should have taken them into the early '80s as a band to be reckoned with. After all the decade was closing out there were changes on the horizon and you either kept up, or you got left behind.

Bruce Fairbairn was still in the producers chair, with Bob Rock engineering and mixing most of the album. The classic line up was still intact:

  • Lindsay Mitchell - guitar
  • Rock Norton - drums
  • Al Harlow - bass and rhythm guitar
  • John Hall - keyboards
  • Ton Tabak - vocals

Prism would make one more album with the classic album in 1980, Young and Restless and after that things would make a small change that was really pretty big, and things would start to unravel pretty quickly. Eventually there would be no one left and Prism would be a band in name only.

For a few short years between 1977 and 1980 Prism was at the heart of my musical world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the