Skip to main content

The Automatix - Night Rider

Automatix
The Automatix Night Rider. The kids got this for me (along with a box full of other treasures) because:

A. It looked cool
B. It was sealed
C. I wanted it

All good reasons.

I recently succumbed to peer pressure and subscribed to a streaming service. Yeah, I know. It's an adjustment, especially for me as I'm a tactile Luddite, and although I digitized my CD library a while back (just under a terabyte, and took a while, and I do find I have to re-rip the occasional album, but it's rare), I still have a wall of shame in the basement, coupled with my regenerating album collection - it's sort of a space problem. One my wife reminds me constantly has limitations ... the box is this big, and only this big. Well there's still room.

side one
Although I have had to curb my visits to the store as I found over the last year in particular my funnel was getting to be ridiculously big, and I want to be able to really listen to the stuff I buy. A lesson I never learned in the '80s through the mid '90s when I couldn't keep up, and I was also getting sent stuff to review, which while fun was an obligation. It's a weird thing and the height of personal hubris to think my opinion means anything. I'm just a guy who loves music, and my tastes are just that - my tastes.

If you're still reading, thanks. If you've been here before you know this is just how it goes. I will try and get to the point.

Streaming.

See, back on track. Streaming still feels weird. I mean seriously it's really weird. However, it is the new paradigm and frankly having the world at your fingertips is kind of trippy. The issue is of course, how to curate.

Anyway, to being all the bits back home the reason I even mentioned streaming in the first place is because there are so many artists who are not on the major platforms. Either as a way to resisting the turning tide, protesting how their art is monetized, or there are licensing and publishing restrictions, or more often the label who originally released the album couldn't be bothered, or no longer exists.

side two
In the case of Automatix, they were on MCA right around the time the Irving Azoff purge happened to try and save MCA from bankruptcy. Considering I'd never heard of the band before I found the record, I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb when I say the album probably had no support and disappeared as quickly as it came out, and the band was dropped. The copy I found wasn't remaindered, it was in the same condition it was when it left the pressing plant. 

It really is a shame this hasn't been digitized, as it really does deserve a little love. Unless you manage to find a copy, you'll just have to take my word on this.

I'm putting the horse a bit in front of the cart. The Automatix were a Detroit band. Musically the album was pretty standard for the time, I mean it was 1983, and the smooth rock of a lot of '70s oriented acts moving into more album oriented rock (AOR) and there was more edge, bigger guitars, and louder drums. 

I love that the back cover attributes the guitar solos, as this was always a big draw for me. I still love the mini songs within a song, and this often makes or breaks the whole shebang. 

credits
The Automatix were:

  • Bruce Nazarian - Guitar, Lead Vocals, and Solos
  • Jerry Q. Jones - Drums, Vocals, and Lead Vocals
  • Nolan Mendenhall - Bass and Vocals
  • James A. Noel - keyboards
  • Randall K. Jacobs - Guitar, Vocals and Solos

The songs were a band effort, and vocals were primarily provided by Bruce. There's not a lot of information out there and this would be the band's lone release.

The music is really good, and while it's sort of hard to distinguish their sound from a lot of the other AOR out there, a good song is a good song, and frankly I really like this stuff. The band would blend harder rock within their songs, and then unload a solo. The guitar work was really tasty and wasn't shedding, nor was the tone as overly processed as things were going to get through the '80s. This was just straight rock and roll. I can't say this isn't dated, but to me most of this has a timeless rock quality to it - aside from the occasional keyboard choice that at the time was probably as cool as it got, and now is borderline irritating.

I've gone through this now a few times, and every time a little more stands out. Heck the band was able to seamlessly incorporate new wave elements into their sound. Not to mention the cow bell  on the closing track on side one. It's a lot of fun. I'm on the fence as to whether Night Rider is a lost '80s classic, but it is a buried treasure.

I'm trying to imagine this would have fit for me if I'd found it back in the day. Yeah, this would have been slotted right in there with my Kansas, Foreigner, Toto, April Wine and .38 Special records (I had to stop with the list as it was getting really long).

back cover
It is a real shame this isn't available on any of the platforms as I'd love to play this in the car. There's no point in me making a mix take either as I the only cassette player is in the basement with the record player.

I love it when you take a chance on something, and it doesn't disappoint.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the