Skip to main content

The Records - Crashes

The Records
It's been a few days of albums from 1980. Well, since I'm here I may as well enjoy myself. The Records followed up their 1979 debut, the one that had "Teenarama" and the stellar "Starry Eyes" with Crashes. This is the one where a young Jude Cole who had just left Moon Martin, joined up with The Records to replace lead guitarist and vocalist Huw Gower.

This was really the golden age of that first wave of power pop that came in parallel to the chaos of punk. It siphoned off the energy and rebelliousness but wrapped everything in starry (don't roll your eyes, I worked hard to work that in, and it's not even on this album) pop goodness that payed homage to it's rock roots but was it's own sound.

concert promo
The Records had managed to get a foot in the door in North America in '79, and a year later when Crashes was released the band came over to support the release playing smaller rooms, like the legendary Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver. I only know this because the record I found had a small poster advertising their upcoming appearance as part of Perryscope Concert Productions "Cheap Thrills #22" where for $4.99 plus any fees you could see the band. Heck, even Dire Straits played the Commodore back in the day.

From what I've read their label more or less pulled their support from the band while they were on tour which more of less added the words "... and Burns" to the album.

Getting back to this one, though. if you're a fan of power pop this will definitely put a grin on your face. I'm not overly encumbered with baggage either. I've not listened to The Records (or Shades in Bed if you want the original title, but I grew up with The Records, so that's what it is) in a while so other than fond remembrances I'm listening to Crashes with fresh ears.

credits
This is really solid, and the addition of guitarist Jude Cole on lead and harmony vocals (I'm assuming he sang lead as a couple of the songs sound like him) really compliments John Wicks vocals. It's the vocals here that are particularly endearing as there is a sweetness to the delivery that fits the music. There are also moments here and there when John is a little pitchy and at the edge of his range, and it totally works. Drummer and lyricist Will Birch and bassist Phil Brown anchor the band and keep things bobbing along.

When I sit to take in an album I still find myself waiting for those "holy shit" moments. The ones where I hear a song, or if things were really going well, where I find songs I can pull out for a mix tape (weird how I still think of mix tapes), or nowadays a playlist. This is probably the worst way to listen to an album, and over the years I've dismissed a lot of really good stuff just by virtue of an album being consistently good. I'm not saying I'm content with meh and filler. It's just that some albums are a solid listen, and trying to isolate what essentially works out to an am radio friendly (it was a thing once upon a time ... a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away) song that isn't too long or too short.

insert
Probably the closest to fitting that narrow definition is "Hearts Will Be Broken" a song with the band's rich layered harmonies, and the jangly guitar that gives off "Starry Eyes" vibes. It's really very nice, and honestly isn't the best song on the album. I keep waffling on what stands out, which is kind of cool. Everything here is really tight. At the moment the song that strikes my fancy is the very Beatlesque "I Don't Remember Your Name" that really payed homage to the 70's - in the best possible way. The song that was pulled for a single however was "Hearts in Her Eyes" a song that is okay for all that but not the best representation of what the band was pulling off on Crashes.

I've played the album most of the afternoon, and I just came back to the computer to re-read whatever meanderambling nonsense I'd jotted down, and I have to say that those paragraphs about looking for the infamous single thing, is unmitigated gibberish. Although I will say that "Hearts in Her Eyes" is the weakest song on the album which is a shame. I'm not going to list my favourites ... seriously, the whole album is pretty fantastic, and every time I think I've narrowed it down, something else pops up. 

insert

Take my word for it, this is wonderful stuff. Sadly like so many great things from 1980 that had both feet in the '70s audiences were fickle, and for a couple of years pop felt revitalized and different from everything else that was out there at the time - and then just as quickly something else was in fashion. 

Funny how this would come back around in the '90s when Britpop resurrected the genre with louder guitars and more swagger. "The Worriers" could have been an Oasis song, right down to the whiny slightly off pitch vocal delivery.

They were the best of times, they were the shortest of times.

Crashes indeed.

back cover
There is a pretty decent anthology you can listen to called Smashes, Crashes and Near Misses, that features more than half of Crashes but in terms of back catalogue, it's all hidden away somewhere. Which is too bad.

You know, I'm going to dig up their debut. If I'm going to sit in the basement and play records, I may as well play The Records.

I'll see myself out. 

Until next time, don't forget to like and subscribe, and ring the bell.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the