Skip to main content

Ironhorse - Ironhorse

Ironhorse

Ironhorse was Randy's first band project since leaving Bachman Turner Overdrive in 1977. It was released in '79 coming a year after Randy Bachman had released his solo album Survivor. An album I bought, and tried super hard to like. It had a great cover though. In '79 BTO dropped their last album Rock n' Roll Nights an album I saw many times over the years and never bothered to pick up. I'm looking for it now, sigh. I opted to pick up Ironhorse, because I had heard "Sweet Lui-Luise" a grand total of one time on the radio, and I was hooked. This was classic Randy, and I was exited to hear what else was buried in the grooves. 

Mostly I was disappointed.

That's how I remember it.

Let's spin this and see what shakes out.

The band here was Randy on vocals and guitar, with Tom Sparks on vocals and guitar. The rhythm section was ace session played Mike Baird and bassist John Pierce. It's hard to get a read on whether this was a "real" band, or just a collection of session players to back Randy and Tom. I suspect it was very much Randy's project and everyone else was just added as necessary to flesh out his vision of the songs.

The first side was all Randy songs, and I have to say that this was better than I remembered. Oh, it's not a classic album but it is an album worth giving a spin. I'd forgotten how good some of the songs were. It was "You Gotta Let Go" that stirred some deep memories. This was a song I'd put on some mix tapes and it's a really good song. Heck even the boogie woogie "Tumbleweed" is worth repeated plays - mainly because Randy's guitar work is smokin'.

credits
Randy's playing still got the little hairs to stand up, and when he pulled out a solo he would slide the fader up and make it stand out - his tone was FAT. Heck, he even plays an early iteration of Roland's synthesizer guitar and uses it to great effect on some of the songs, particularly "Jump Back in the Light." It's hard to think that was 1979 as it would have been at home on a lot of '80 recordings. Randy had access to great gear.

The second side featured three songs written by Tom Sparks. I can't find much out there on him, which is too bad. There was one site, but there was no mention of Ironhorse, so either it was a terrible experience, or it was a different guy. I'm 50/50 on this one being a bad experience as he wasn't on the band's follow up.

The second side starts off his "Stateline Blues" written and fronted by Tom Sparks, and the song is a tonal and stylistic shift. For the time this was right in the mix with a lot of the other AOR stuff, and Randy's guitar synth would have been bleeding edge. The follow up, also written and sung by Tom "Watch Me Fly" is decent and has a solid groove but there's an overall feeling, at least for me that I've been suckered and this is a bait and switch. Yeah, that's totally unfair, but I had a specific box where I'd put all things Bachman, and this was pushing the boundaries of what I was willing to accept from a Randy Bachman helmed project.

Randy mines the Not Fragile era with "Old Fashioned" a song dedicated to Slowhand. For all that this tip of the hat to the early '70s while a lot of fun, especially given the passage of time, it just felt like a desperate attempt to capture past glory.  The album's closer "There Ain't No Cure" is in a similar vein, with Randy chugging along with the bass and rhythm guitar doubling the song's main riff. It's got all of the ingredients and if you close you eyes you can imagine this being huge, but here it just feels like nostalgia.

back cover
Name recognition is a double edged sword. With Ironhorse I suspect it was a deliberate attempt to carve out a new direction while still utilizing the band's greatest weapon: Randy. The music world was changing, and while there was room for rock, it was changing from the foot stompin' boogie woogie of those first BTO albums, and while this was as good or better than that later BTO records, with and without Randy, times were changing. The Tom Sparks songs were actually really solid, but were overshadowed here. I actually like this a lot more now than I did back then.

Despite "Sweet Lui-Luise" cracking the top 40 in the US and Canada, it didn't translate to sales, and by all accounts Scotti Brothers never recouped their advance. Although they did green light a follow up album in 1980 with a revamped line up that I bought and listened to ... once.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the