Skip to main content

Steve Miller Band - Italian X Rays

Steve Miller
As a kid who didn't love Steve Miller? His Greatest Hits 1974–78 is essential listening. Although full disclosure, I never owned a copy ... but my friends did. By the time I was able to buy my own records I was busy trying to keep up and didn't have a lot of budget to go back in time. Italian X Rays was the follow up to his platinum 1982 release Abracadabra. It was a goofy song too, and while it was an earworm of the highest order and contained one of the worst (but still oddly cool) guitar solos of all time it was a song I still have a love hate relationship with. Steve Miller returned in '84 with Italian X Rays an album what was supposed to be the next crown in his jewel. Turns out this is the album no one wanted. I do recall seeing, or hearing "Shagri-La" and thought it was ... strange.

Of all the Steve Miller albums I've found recently it was a toss up between this one and Abracadabra. I figured this was the one to go with as it seems to the one that marked the end of the band's commercial run, and it also seemed to be the one where Steve was still trying new things and evolving his sound. Whether the proof was in the pudding or not was another matter - but I won't know until I get into the grooves. I'm going to put my lead vest on my lap to protect my genitals, and see what was in Italian X Rays.

The first side starts with a short instrumental "Radio 1" that segues into the title track. Ah, here were go. This is a page right out of the "Abracadabra" playbook. It's actually kind of catchy and while nothing really special was a promising start. Mister Miller sure did seem to like his little instrumentals, and keyboard player Byron Allred was given quite a bit of room to stretch out on the album. I was actually looking forward to hearing "Shangri-La" and while kind of quirky it really never stood out as particularly engaging. "Who Do You Love" is sort of vintage Miller, and was the first of two songs co-written by Tim Davis, who was one of the original members of the Steve Miller Band. One of the songs that did stand out was the the short instrumental "Harmony of the Spheres 1" that paid homage to the "Space Intro" that preceded "Fly Like an Eagle." I'm wondering if this is going to be a grower and not a shower.

Side two follows the structure of side one and opens with another short instrumental by Byron Allred "Radio 2" before "Bongo Bongo" tries it's hardest to summon a sense of urgency with it's looped beats and an electronic stuttering that would be made famous a year later by Max Headroom. It's a weird song that was oddly ambitious and was trying to embrace the more outrageous elements of techno mixed with new wave. It didn't work for me at all but I applaud the effort. Clap, clap clap. To those who thought they'd pegged Steve Miller and put him into a box with the other old '70s dinosaurs were probably discombobulated by this newfangled Steve Miller who didn't know enough to stay in his lane and leave the new toys and experimentation to the kids.

inside sleeve
The trend for lifeless techno infused pop continued through the songs and any hopes I had of unearthing a hidden gem was buried under the weight of the pop detritus coming out of the speakers. There were a couple of moments where I paid attention. The glimmer of life found in "Golden Opportunity" was an anomaly by again conjuring the echoes of classic Steve Miller Band. Oddly it wasn't written by Steve, it was written by drummer Gary Mallaber and bassist Kenny Lee Lewis who also played the guitar solo on the song. While not a great song, it really stood out here as it was heads and shoulders above the rest of the songs on the album. It was a short lived respite as the next song was more of the same. 

Then came "One in a Million" this time written by Steve Miller, and it too was an odd duck. A very gentle and classic Steve Miller tune. It was a fine way to close the album before the short instrumental "Harmony of the Spheres 2" brought things to a end.

For the most part a perplexing footnote in the Steve Miller Band catalogue. I never figured it would be quite as lifeless as it turned out to be. I'm generally an optimist and a contrarian. If people think something is bad I'm going to look for a silver lining.

back cover
Italian X Rays was a swing and a miss. Although of the techno new wave stuff, the title track was probably the best of the songs in that vein on the album. It really was the bookend to "Abracadabra" and could have been a hit, but a lot had changed in those two short years between albums.

Post Script. I had written most of this more or less in real time as it played through the first time. Generally not the best way to try and digest something new, but it captures my first impression. Now, here's the fun part, the album is indeed a grower. Not to the point where this will ever be construed as one of Steve Miller's best albums, but it does reveal a little more each time I played it, and I still have to give props to the guy for playing with the new toys that were out there rather than just recycling the same song over and over. He was still growing as a musician, and after this one he'd settle into his role as an elder statesmen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the