Skip to main content

Payolas - Hammer on a Drum

Payolas
At the risk of sounding like a broken record and repeating myself, I'll bring you up to speed on my love hate relationship with Payolas. At best I was a casual fan but I will give credit where credit is due. When they were good they were as good as it got. Seriously, "Eyes of a Stranger" is just about as good as it gets, and over the decades the song has woven itself into the fabric of Canadian classic rock. 

When the band followed up their 1982 release No Stranger to Danger a year later with Hammer on a Drum also produced by Mick Ronson, there was anticipation in the air. This was going to break the band wide open. "Where is this Love" was the song that got me in the feels and I would have picked up the album except the other song that got radio play was "Never Said I Loved You" where Paul and Carole Pope took turns singing ... in other words it was a duet. To say I had a visceral reaction to the song understates the meaning of the work visceral. I still can't put my finger on why I had such a strong reaction, but I did, and I never bought the album. The misguided opinion of youth? Maybe, but I also know that as I write this the album is playing in the background, and the song hasn't come on ... oh, wait ... here it is. 

Hold on.

Ah, that's why. It wasn't Carole, it was the song. The song for me was and will always be - undeniably awful. Now to be fair (to be fair) a lot of people really liked the song, and here in Canada the song was a hit cracking the top ten in many markets. At the time I had little respect for Carole Pope, somewhere along the line I'd decided that I didn't like her or her band, and by association anything related to her involvement. Of course when "Never Said I Loved You" song hit the airwaves with it's pseudo-reggae rhythms it was already pushing air uphill for me. 

Listening to it now, it's still not a song a like, but I can see the appeal. Carole Pope who I've recently revisited and am working to revise my long held bias really did bring a ballsy swagger to the song, and lyrically it's pretty funny and biting. It's just too bad the music sucked so hard for me.

If it isn't evident at this point I'm going to just say it: of all the new wave and post punk flavours, I was never partial to the ska, or reggae infused stuff. There were some exceptions of course, as there are bound to be but in general it was not my cup of bile - I'll drink tea ... and with Payolas, there were two bands vying for dominance. There was the band who penned "Where is this Love" and the moody atmospheric "No Prisoners" that had an organic futuristic take on the early '80s new wave that was evolving. A song like "Christmas is Coming" was a more straight ahead pop song that still had an edge.

The core of the band was still centred on vocalist Paul Hyde and guitarist Bob Rock. The two wrote the songs drove the band. Chris Livingstone was on keyboards, and Chris Taylor was on drums. They were in between official bass players at the time. Payolas were a band who balanced alternative with various influences, and while for me the results were uneven there was something that was engaging about the band. I would eventually end up picking up many of the band's albums, and despite what always felt like an unbalanced hit and miss ratio, there was something about their songs when they came together that gave them a disproportionate weight. 

On Hammer on a Drum, the band put together a collection of angry, edgy songs. For me, I was drawn to the more straight ahead pop songs, which meant that "Where is this Love" the haunting "No Prisoners" and the hidden gem "Hungry" were the songs that stood out. From a nostalgia perspective I'd even suggest that "Never Said I Loved You" is one loud party and drunken sing-a-long from being a great song.

I do have to call out the very clever and musically awkward closing number (think "Sit on my Face" by Monty Python, but without the subject matter ... it was more of a feeling than anything) "People Who Have Great Lives" that surely must have been a genuine WTF moment for the suits at A&M when they heard it. Me, I love it, and frankly it sums up the band.

Back to the album, despite doing reasonably well at home, the folks at A&M seemed to be of the opinion that greater things were in store for the band, and despite Mick Ronson's impressive resume and rock cachet, he was not able to get the job done, and this was laid at his feet.

back cover
The album would do reasonably well at home, and despite not breaking into the US market, A&M would give the band another push with David Foster, and that as they say is another story. If you look you'll find it here. I still find it oddly punitive that the band's catalogue remains locked somewhere in a vault. I may not have liked some of the songs here, but dang it the band had it's fans and in Canada they're still a pretty big deal.

In an age where everything can be streamed it boggles the mind as to why Payolas and their contributions to Canadian music are locked away somewhere. Hammer on a Drum my ass, nails in a coffin more like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the