Skip to main content

Soft Cell - Happiness not Included

Soft Cell
Getting this was an accident, but I'm not complaining or crying foul. My old record store shuttered and moved to a warehouse and now runs an auction to purge inventory. For me this is a bit of a double edged sword. Over the last couple of years I'd ended up with a lot of stuff as I fished through the dollar section, and every so often splurged when it was my birthday or Christmas. The end result being a shortage of storage space, and an inability to expand as it was made clear from the onset that I couldn't take up more space.

It was the auction section that became my win some lose some playground. I'd scan through the listings, and click on a couple here and there to satisfy the minimum bids, then walk away until things closed. This last cycle there were a couple that caught my eye, and this one. Soft Cell's Happiness not Included was on yellow vinyl. I really didn't want it but it looked interesting, and until I brought it home didn't know it was a relatively new release. For most of us, Soft Cell is known for one song "Tainted Love" and back in '81 this was just about as cool as it got. This was the future of techno new wave wrapped up in one extraordinary song. Of course, I suspect to the band's real fans they were so much more than the perceived North American One Hit Wonder. In the UK during the band's initial run between 1981 and 1984 they had a dozen songs in the top 40, with a few landing in the top 5.

yellow vinyl
The band apparently had a love hate relationship with success. They would play live, but eschewed playing their biggest hit. Kind of like what I read about early '80s Deep Purple who wouldn't play "Smoke on the Water" in concert. However this is based on tidbits I'd heard decades ago, and can't substantiate any of it now, so I suspect it was about as true as the cat in the microwave urban myths.

Soft Cell weren't exactly prolific. They'd release three albums in the early '80s, and then after a break of almost two decades would drop an album in 2002, and then wait another twenty years before Happiness not Included was released.

I will probably go back and listen to their other stuff now, as I'm finding this album to be a lot of fun. It's weird hearing new stuff from a band I only know one song from over forty years ago. All I can hear are the echoes of all the bands who came after them they no doubt influenced. It's a chicken and egg thing, but I'm pretty sure Soft Cell is the chicken who laid the little disco ball that inspired generations of musicians.

inner sleeves
Soft Cell is Marc Almond on vocals and guitar and David Ball who plays synthesisers. The music here is a an mixed experience as so much of it feels cemented in the past, but it also feels strangely fresh. I suppose this just goes to show that if you wait long enough things will eventually come full circle. The guys seem to know it too as one of the more quirky and upbeat tracks is titled "Nostalgia Machine."

As to whether this is good on its own merits or merely mining my sense of nostalgia I can't really separate the two. Is it good? Yes, it's good. Very good at times. In fact I'd challenge the title of the album, and state that happiness was included. Of course if I'd not won the auction and spent my $10 bucks, the likelihood of me actually ever listening to this would have been zero.

Like I said this was an accident, and I'm not complaining.

Of course the problem with good is good is relative. It's also the minimum threshold most of us will accept when judging whether we like something or not. If you've ever had to fill out a survey you've had to decide between a list of choices designed to gauge your level of satisfaction. The two more common scales will illicit a response measuring "excellence" or "satisfaction" which while similar are not completely interchangeable. One is a measure of quality the other is the more intangible whether or not you're satisfied with something ... the goal being you're so satisfied you want more. So it's always kind of fun to know that when we're talking about things we like we seldom speak in terms of being satisfied. Things are either good, or they're not, but it's more nuanced, and scales have changed over the years but generally achieving good just means you've checked the boxes. It's enjoyable but in terms of making a memorable or lasting impression it's merely good.

So is this a good record? Yeah it's a good record. It actually kind of surprised me at how good it was for me. It was sort of what I expected it to be, but it was deeper and more nuanced than I expected. The first time through didn't reveal anything that truly popped, the songs were all enjoyable, but I did want to turn it over and play it again when it was over. I've played it several times, and each time it gets a little deeper under my skin.

insert
It's been time well spent as the album does deserve a little time to sink in, and there are some wonderfully moody pieces wrapped around sparkly pop arrangements. As you'd expect from a band whose stock and trade is a steady dance beat and catchy songs. As for moody "I'm Not a Friend of God" more or less regurgitates the old "God is responsible for the bad things" like it's some sort of revelation. Kind of like an even more pithy version of XTC's "Dear God" but it's a good song. Where as "Purple Zone" and the title track is up tempo, although the self aware "Nostalgia Machine" is pretty self effacing and a lot of fun.

The guys aren't above playing their boomer card either, which is kind of fun, why not they're getting old, and like or not they've seen stuff. They're not above popping some of the bubbles on the bubble wrap. The title track starts with the following,

We can't sanitize our history
Just because it's not what we want it to be
England was built on sorrow and pain
Slavery and ill-gotten gain
We gotta look around and recognize
Who we are now, how far we've come
Recognize those who deserve it
And live with those who don't

I was actually a little surprised at some of the songs. The guys weren't being tone deaf or offensive, they were calling out the human condition, and it was all wrapped up in decent beat. Those expecting another "Sex Dwarf" are going to be a little disappointed. Besides any band who can find a way to name check Soylent Green and actress Kim Novak is going to go over the heads of some people who didn't grow up in the '70s.

This is an excellent sounding record, and time and technology have only served to help Soft Cell capture their vision, and unlike the early '80s techno scene, there is a lot more organic material included in the band's compositions, from cello, flute, violin, and real strings. It's fitted perfectly into the mix. Another thing that, and it's more than likely I'm out to lunch on this one as it's so pervasive it's probably used all over this one too, is auto-tune. If it's used here to drag Marc's vocals to snap to the grid, it's being used sparingly, as there's something warm and a bit vulnerable to many of the tracks here, he's not pitchy but it sounds like he's actually singing. For a band whose stock and trade is technology this is really cool.

"Purple Zone" is a song I kept returning to, there was something that was oddly raw and vulnerable about the track. It's not the best track on the album but it is one of my favourites. Oddly enough, when I streamed the album, the album track had been replaced with a version that was performed with Pet Shop Boys. It's very good and feels like a natural pairing. It's too bad they didn't also include the album version, as for most people who will listen to the album will no doubt hear the streaming version. As good as it is, they're missing out on a more intimate iteration of the song.

back cover
I find myself returning to the question that keeps popping into my head? "Is this good?"

No, it's not.

It's very good.

While none the songs here will likely have the lasting power of "Tainted Love" that's not a shot. Let's be honest, the majority of the songs on their '81 debut Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret aren't all keepers either. There's something truly special about the return of Soft Cell after all these years that showcases two aging musicians who are still able to lay claim to being masters of their craft. They're still mining a past they thought would be the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the