Skip to main content

Stylus over Substance (Volume 14) - Chilliwack, Neil Diamond, Pete Townshend, Loverboy.

Here was chugging along into August, and I have to admit that my self imposed schedule of cranking out two of these a month may have been a tad ambitious. It's likely I'll take a step back and go to once a month. I mean, I'm spending a lot of time jotting down my meandering thoughts that frankly for the most part are just on this side of being coherent ... I'll let you pick a side.

Still, I've been grinding my way through my pile of records. Up for grabs this time out are another gaggle of odds and sods and repeat offenders.

Let's get right to it ... are you seated comfortably?

  • Chilliwack – Look In, Look Out (1984)
  • Neil Diamond - Love At The Greek: Recorded Live At The Greek Theatre (1977)
  • Pete Townshend - All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes (1982)
  • Loverboy - Wildside (1987)
  • T Bone Burnett - The Talking Animals (1988)

Chilliwack
Chilliwack – Look In, Look Out (1984) At the time this felt like a reset for the perennial Canadian stallwarts who'd been cranking out albums since 1970. Early mixes of a couple of the songs here appeared on the band's greatest hits a year earlier titled Seque. They were pretty solid tunes and got a bit of airplay. Bill Henderson at this point was Chilliwack and on Look In, Look Out he'd brought in session players to round out the band. Mo Foster on bass, Simon Phillips on drums, Richard "Ribbs" Gibbs on keys, and Ashley Mulford on guitars and backing vocals. These guys were killer players. Heck I'm guessing for the recording of the album they really were a band. Heck, Ashley Mulford, who was from Sad Cafe also co-wrote six of the songs on the record.

This was a departure from the band's previous release, and Bill was going for a clean pop sound and put out a collection of nicely polished songs that seemed calculated to get on the radio. Except they didn't. The first side kind of meh, and not how I remembered it. The highlight was "Who's Winnin'" and it's still an excellent song. Side two was a lot stronger. The two songs from Segue "Gettin' Better" and "Don't Stop" were very good. However, the gem on the album is the mid temp "Are You Really Gonna Walk Out" a song that is nearly perfect. It's frankly up there with the best songs the band ever put out.

Like I said this felt like the start of a new era. Instead it was the end of the line. I still find it strange that this was it. I suspect Solid Gold collapsing put and end to the band. The album may have been on it's way to going gold, we'll never know. Considering the number of gold and platinum albums they'd put out it's weird no one stepped up to give them another kick at the can. I still think of this as one of the high watermarks for the band. Odd that it also served as it's obituary.

Neil Diamond
Neil Diamond - Love At The Greek: Recorded Live At The Greek Theatre (1977) Robbie Robertson had produced Neil's Beautiful Noise and it was pretty good. Considering how good Hot August Night was from just a few years earlier, it was quite likely lightning could strike twice. So Neil dropped another live album and the results while still pretty good at times, bordering on awesome are also filled with some wonderfully cringey moments. None more painful than when during "Song Sung Blue" Neil parades some guest singers to drop a line or two ... and then he brings out Henry Winkler and implores "The Fonz" to sing along. I suppose you had to be there.

Whereas Hot August Night felt like a sonic gut punch, Love At The Greek seemed to want to emphasize the live elements and the vocals and acoustic guitar are at times thin and sound like they were recorded through the audience mics rather than from the board feed. I'm not saying it doesn't work at times, it makes the recording feel more like a bootleg. However if the goal was to make you feel like you were there it does that. Many of the big hits are here, it's sort of a given that he had to included them, but there are some deeper cuts too and frankly I really liked hearing almost an entire side dedicated to selections from Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

The album while in my opinion is a far lesser collection than Hot August Night and showcased a more lounge singer / showman than the engaging front man from a few years earlier. It didn't seem to matter to those who like Neil. The album would go double platinum in the States, and platinum in Canada and for all that Neil did manage to catch lightning in a bottle.

I have to admit that I was probably a little ambitious when I decided to crank out two of these a month. With everyone home, or the kids parking themselves in the basement I had to sneak my record playing in when I could. Not that I'm complaining, really if this is all I have to bitch and moan about things are pretty good.

Pete Townshend
Pete Townshend - All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes (1982) An odd record that is as perplexing as it is enjoyable. I have to admit the first time through I kept waiting for it to be more than background noise. As the second side came to a close Pete finally put all the pieces together with "Slit Skirts" that was arguably the most accessible song on the record. There's saving the best for last, and then there's little too late. 

It's too easy to shit on this and call it a collection of pretentious self indulgent musical wanking fodder. The nature of solo releases for an artist who is best known for his work within a band setting is to have to freedom to colour with a different palette. To throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks. Not everything will work, but it's often an expression of what the artist is trying to express. Knowing this doesn't necessarily make it more enjoyable to listen to, but I will admit that subsequent plays became more enjoyable, if not more memorable. There are some pretty decent song buried in here, you just have to dig 'em out.

Loverboy
Loverboy - Wildside (1987) This was the end of the band's commercial run. The album would go gold in both the US and Canada, but it was a far cry from the multi-platinum run the band enjoyed on it's first 4 albums.

It's not like the band didn't deliver the give it a good try. The album opens with "Notorious" a song is still a barn burner, and Darrell Mansfield, who was better known in Christian music circles, absolutely killed it on the harmonica. It's too bad the rest of the album was so hit and miss. There's really nothing truly bad here, other than the clunky "That's Where My Money Goes" the songs are passable, but almost feel as if they were assembled by committee.

The band did try to work in more elements to their formula, and the album does seem to be trying be relevant, but honestly the bits and pieces that made their first albums so enjoyable, particularly Doug Johnson's keyboard parts were largely missing or subdued here. The tension between Reno and Dean that balanced rock with a pop sheen seemed to be lost in a no man's land of derivative rock that didn't seem to know what it wanted to be.

Produced by the ever reliable Bruce Fairbairn and engineered by Bob Rock and Mike Fraser at Little Mountain Sound the album sounded good and had a nice bite while still sounding slick. While it's not the strongest album in the band's discography it's still a Loverboy album, and when they were good they were really good and "Notorious" was really good. There were other bright spots, like "Hometown Hero" that sounded like vintage Loverboy but you had to work to get to them. 

Still, this is an album I bought when it came out on CD, and oddly enough bought it again when I found the record ... except they only got paid once. 

T Bone Burnett
T Bone Burnett - The Talking Animals (1988) This is one of those albums I snapped up as soon as I found it. His previous release was exceptional, and I figured this would be different ... I didn't know how different. This was a surprise and also sort of more of the same. T Bone is one of those artists who walk the edge between being overly pretentious and ambitious.

For those looking for pretty radio singles, this isn't going to be your cup of tea. In some ways this is an extension of Proof Through the Night's more eclectic tracks. From the opening track "The Wild Truth" there's an interesting melding of T Bone's early America mixed with alternative rock and roll. The songs don't really follow a pattern as is evidenced by the perplexing "Image" that sounds like something you'd hear in a French cafe. 

This isn't exactly an easy listen, and the songs are musically dense and deliberately layered with various textures all centred on T Bone's near spoken word delivery. The most effective of the lot is the wonderful story told on the album's closing track, "The Strange Case of Frank Cash and the Morning Paper" that was co-written by Tonio K. It's an odd song amidst a series of odd songs, and the breaking of the fourth wall is sort of par for the course.

I'd not listened to the album in many years, and it remains as enthralling and inaccessible as ever. I'm still not sure if I like this or not, but I've been wrestling with it for decades and for all that it's an essential part of T Bone's catalogue. You either like him or you don't.

I like him. It's just hard to get sometimes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the