Skip to main content

a-ha - Hunting High and Low

a-ha
 a-ha are often associated by the unwashed as an '80s one hit wonder who aside from their clever cartoony video and impossibly high notes on the chorus on "Take On Me" never did anything else. I suppose in the US this is sort of true as Hunting High and Low remains the band's only platinum record - making them at worst a one album wonder.

Still, I'm getting ahead of myself, as usual. I have a lot of half baked thoughts swirling around in my head, and am trying to get them to settle down. I suppose the problem is I have about forty years of baggage with the band. I've followed them faithfully, even enjoying their lamented '93 release Memorial Beach (which at the moment I can't recall any of the songs) and bought the download of their 2022 True North (which I'm also drawing a blank on ... but I didn't spend a lot of time with that one). Their catalogue is liberally sprinkled with astounding songs. The band is still centred on the talents of Magne Furuholmen, Morten Harket, Paul Waaktaar-Savoy. Sure Morten as the voice gets a little more attention, but this is a three legged milking stool and you need all three for balance.

Let's go back to the beginning. Rumour has it Warner Bros. was looking for their own version of Duran Duran, and there were three young Norwegian lads who were creating well crafted synth-pop who were also camera ready.

insert
"Take On Me" was one of those near perfect marriages of song and image that broke the band all over the world. It was, and remains an awesome piece of music. Not long after the video for "The Sun Always Shines on T.V." hit pretty heavy rotation, and it was those two songs that got me to pick up the record.

Now, I have to admit that at the time, it was those two songs that got all the attention, and for a while appeared on quite a few mix tapes. The rest of the album I thought was okay, but there were songs like "Love is the Reason" with the cheesy synth horns that I found really irritating, and some of the other farty noises while cutting edge at the time had the shelf life of mayonnaise sitting out on a hot day.

Still the album got a fair bit of play mainly because whoever sequenced the album was on the ball. Side one opens with "Take On Me" and the second starts off with "The Sun Always Shines on T.V." which generally meant the songs would play through, which was a good thing, because honestly aside from taking a couple of cracks at some of the sounds on the album, there were so many really great songs on the album.

insert
The album was mostly produced by Tony Mansfield, except for the two big hits - those were produced by Alan Tarney. This was a name I recognized right away, and this was probably the first time I'd heard his production where it didn't sound like Alan Tarney with someone else singing. Who knows what he added to the secret sauce, but I always assumed whatever he did elevated the songs above the rest of the material on the album.

Of course I could be completely full of shit too.

What I find interesting now is having the record again, and the liner notes, is how skinny the credits are. I mean, there are pictures of the band, and production notes, but as to actual credits and lyrics - nothing. I mean the address for the fan club is on the back, but as to the band members - nothing. Maybe it was to add a layer of mystery but I remember finding it perplexing back in the day, and even now. There was a little more on the record where it had the songwriting credits, but at the time you couldn't match the names to the pictures. Oh, if you're curious on the cover it's Mags on the left, Morten in the middle, and Pal looking cool on the right. Now you know, but if you're a fan you knew that already.

The songs were mostly written by Pal Waaktaar, with "Take On Me" attributed to the whole band, and then a couple to Pal and Mags, and Pal and Morten. From this you get the sense that Pal (or Paul as he's known now) was providing the musical direction.

Or not, see above mention of me being full of shit.

back cover
Regardless, finding a near mint copy of the record was kind of cool - near mint, except for a small pressing imperfection on "The Blue Sky" that will either elicit a small pop or occasionally a little skip - which sucks, but thankfully it's on a song that I can honestly take or leave. I have this on CD anyway along with most of their catalogue so really me getting the record was unnecessary, but fun.

Anyway for a couple of days I got to spin this front to back a few times, and reminisce and remind myself why I liked this band so much. Getting to sit in the basement with the stereo loud was just me "Living a Boy's Adventure Tale."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure.  I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTOs Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) who knows maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust - it seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight ahead pop, or rock. It was leaning to the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough the vocals reminded me of Mi

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

The first time I got this album it was a gift from my old roommate Otto. For a goofy little nebbish he would occasionally surprise me with some left of field musical treasures. Although, I still think he was reaching a little when he brought home the new "Led Zeppelin" album by Kingdom Come and forced me to listen to "Get it On" over and over again.  I'd not listened to Mars Needs Guitars in a long, long, long time. The first thing that I jumped out at me was how David Faulkner's vocals reminded me of his fellow countryman Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. I think the reason this never occurred to me was at the time I didn't have any Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust in 1987. I'm not saying it was all the time, but there were a couple of songs where it stood out. Not a bad thing, just a thing. Even at the time this felt slightly out of step with what was going on in 1985. It seemed like everyone was using drum machines and synthesizers and having t

Saturday Night Fever - The Original Movie Soundtrack

It was going to happen sooner or later. Nostalgia is a cruel Mistress...she can dull the sharpest edges and over time can even soften the hardest of opinions. I found this in the dollar bin, and frankly at a dollar I was worried about what this would cost me. Not only from a monetary perspective, but my time, and more important my credibility. Fourteen year old me was screaming "Don't you dare. DON'T DO IT! Put it down. Walk away!" Then there was grey bearded me holding it and looking at it, thinking, "How bad could it be? I actually kind of like "Staying Alive" and me buying this record won't bring disco back, and no one will have to know I bought this." I pulled the album out of the bin, and carefully took out the records. They'd seen better days, and there were a couple of decent scratches that would no doubt make their presence known later. The jacket was in decent condition, and both of the albums had the original sleeves. I dusted the