Skip to main content

QuarterFlash - QuarterFlash

QuarterFlash

I suppose the meanest thing I could say about this one is, "Hey look kids, it's Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo's less talented doppelgangers." Of course that's more than a little unfair. I did say it was the meanest thing I could say, and really, after all this time is it even fair to take pot shots at QuarterFlash? No it isn't fair, then again no one said life was fair.

Let's step back and address the elephant in the room: their 1981 hit "Harden My Heart," a song that went gold, and single-handedly carried the album to platinum status by the middle of '82. The album had legs and "Harden My Heart" was an excellent song, and is still an excellent song. The saxophone solo was right up there with Raphael Ravenscroft's work on "Baker Street" - yeah, it was that good. So we know for certain the album had one killer track and I'm going to just park that one in a safe space and listen to the rest of the album ... you know, the songs I don't remember.

the band

Not to harp on my initial cheap shot, but there were hints of Pat Benatar-lite on the big song, as well as the follow-up single "Find Another Fool" which was the second song on the album. Then again the only similar elements between them were a female singer that was straddling harder rock with pop. It's like smushing Journey and Foreigner together and taking cheap shots because you think they were too commercial and sold their souls to sell records ... and maybe that was true, but it's beside the point. I still like those bands.

QuarterFlash was a '70s band that was still fashionable in the early '80s. While they were able to successfully blend the new with the old on a few of the tracks (the first two songs of side one, and "Right Kind of Love" that started side two), most of the songs were essentially enjoyable filler full of schlocky '70s-styled arrangements. The other jarring element here was having guitarist Jack Charles take lead vocals on "Critical Times" which honestly wasn't a horrible song, just out of place.

As if to double down on their '70s roots, the band includes a seven-minute opus called "Williams Avenue" that's an odd, funky jazz song that features a number of extended musical sections that felt like they belonged on a different album. It's also incredibly good ... I didn't want to like it, I wanted slick songs but this was special. Heck even the violin solo was right where it needed to be. You won't find this on a Pat Benatar album.

back cover
The album is a little uneven in places, but when it's good it's really good. Frankly, the band would never top their debut single, but to their credit they released a pretty adventurous album that took some chances. I hadn't listened to this all the way through in a long, long time and frankly it was better than I remembered.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Styx - Paradise Theater

Styx was hands down one of my favourite bands as a kid. They were a strange band, even back then. They were a hard rock band, almost progressive at times, who had a penchant for sucky ballads. I know there's a tendency for people to zero in on "Babe" as the song that killed the band's credibility. The roots go way back to almost the beginning when Styx released "Lady" on their second album. It showed a side to the band that needed to be kept in check, and for the most part the band kept things on a pretty tight leash. The band had been setting a gruelling pace, releasing an album a year (two in 1972) and by the time they released Paradise Theater (if I end up writing theatre later it's because that's how we spell it here) in 1981 they'd dropped ten albums in less than a decade. I snapped this up as soon as I saw it, and it became a fixture on my turntable. Like the band had announced on "Borrowed Time" from 1979's Cornerstone , ...

Billy Rankin - Growin' Up Too Fast

Growin' Up Too Fast was never widely released on CD (if at all), and it was one of the albums I really wanted to get back after a basement flood wiped out my vinyl collection in the '90s (when no one really gave a shit about records, and my insurance gave me a couple hundred bucks for an appraised $10,000 collection). Way back in 1984, my (dearly departed and greatly missed) buddy Dave let me borrow his cassette copy, which included a bonus track of "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." When I eventually bought the album, I didn't know it was a bonus track, or even what a bonus track was. If that sentence was hard to read, just go back and skim it. I'm sure you'll get the gist. I'd find out later Billy was an off-and-on-again member of Nazareth and wrote some absolutely killer songs for them. At the time, though, all I knew was this guy laid it out cold with the opening cut, "Baby Come Back," then proceeded to lay down one killer tune after another bef...

Garfield - Strange Streets

I'd seen this before in the bin, but kept flipping through the stacks. I'd see it a few more times, each time stopping to look at it a little more. There was something kind of cool about the cover where the stylized Celtic knot had the dotted yellow line - it was a strange street for sure. I pulled the record out of the jacket and I was struck by the centre image. There was the familiar Mercury label, the same one I'd seen a thousand times on BTO's Head On album. Well, I'd bought things based on odd associations before - like when I had to buy anything that Solid Rock Records released (this was generally a good thing) - so who knows, maybe this was a hidden gem. There weren't any real scratches or rash, just a lot of dirt and dust. It seemed to clean up okay, but we'll see how it goes. The album opens with the title track, and this wasn't straight-ahead pop or rock. It was leaning toward the progressive, but with a pop bent. Oddly enough, the vocals rem...